• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kenfig NR (1 Viewer)

Gander

I may have an opportunity to visit this site towards the end of May. I would welcome any up to date advice. In particular, I would be targeting birds that I cannot get to see back home in Fife. Cetti's Warbler would be a good example.

Edit - The Welsh pages do not seem to be used much on these forums. Is there some other place/site/media that the local bird watchers use to communicate?

Last edited:
Hi Gander. Cettis can be heard/ seen walking down to the East hide. Be careful where you step as it's popular with dog walkers who don't clean up after their pets.

There's usually a list of what's been seen in the visitor centre. Where are you staying? What else would you be looking to see?

Rich

Hi Rich.
I'll be staying in Bridgend for a couple of days. I've compared the recent Bird Track reports for Kenfig with what I see back home, and Cetti's is the stand out, although we don't get too many Reed Warblers either. I had heard that Bittern is a possibility, but suspect this is not the right time of year?

At the moment, I'm not sure I'll even make it to the reserve. I'll have to see how my other arrangements pan out, then maybe grab an hour or so at an opportune moment.

Hi G. Bittern and usually more often seen in Winter. I'd be tempted by Newport Wetlands. Heaps of Cettis when I was there last along with Reed and Sedge Warblers, Lesser and Common Whitethroats, Bearded Tits and the outside chance of Marsh Harriers and Bittern. I'm sure I read that one had been booming there recently.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Rich

Hi,

You should also check out Park Slip Nature Reserve.
It is smaller than Kenfig and is great if you only have an hour or two.
Only a few miles away from Bridgend.

Hi,

You should also check out Park Slip Nature Reserve.
It is smaller than Kenfig and is great if you only have an hour or two.
Only a few miles away from Bridgend.

Thanks for that. I had noticed it as an option, but it's been three years since Cettis reported there on Bird Track. Looks a nice spot though, and as you say, if my time is very restricted, it may be the better option.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back