• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best full HD camera to Videoscoping (1 Viewer)

musti

Please tell your opinion what are best full HD camera to take videos with scope

One item are that seems to be hard to get work with Canon HF 100

I can use cameras optical zoom so that there are no vinjeting in zoom area.

My setup are
Opticron ES 80 ED scope
DTL 40929 eyepiece 12.5x magnification
Canon HF 100 video

What goes wrong in my setup

I cannot offer any advice on which HD camcorder to buy. I use a Sony PC330E miniDV which has a 10x zoom and find it perfectly suitable for videoscoping with a 12x eyepiece on my scope. With this combination I can use around 75% of the zoom range without any vignetting problems.

Do you find that you have to zoom in quite a lot to get rid of vignetting? If so,you may find that your camcorder has a too powerful zoom. By the time vignetting has disappeared the magnification (camcorder zoom x eyepiece magnification) may be too high to be able to get a stable, sharp image. Most people recommend using a camcorder with a small zoom ratio of around 10x because of this problem.

Last edited:
Successful videoscoping without vignetting is strongly dependent on the eyepiece. The key spec that determines one's ease of videoscoping is the eye relief.

What I've found is my eyepieces with eyerelief longer than 20mm all can successfully videoscope. As for the ones with shorter eyerelief, one would need to up the zoom to such a level that the image becomes too soft.

Last edited:
I've taken the plunge into Videoscoping in HD with the Sony SR12 mounted on my Zeiss Diascope 85mm, using the excellent EagleEye eypiece.

I've just posted my first results on my website http://www.bakewellbirder.co.uk/videoscoping/

The embedded clips are hosted on Vimeo which does not yet allow you to embed the HD version. You can see these by following the link on my site.

The 2 juvenile shags were filmed at Carsington at some 75 yards distance. The magnification was around x100.

I've attached a videograb from one of the clips.

Am pleased with the results so far...and don't even own an HD TV...yet!

Attachments

• shag_grab.jpg
    shag_grab.jpg
    185.1 KB · Views: 296
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back