• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

uk wildfowl (1 Viewer)

capdegat

Can anyone tell me what these are please ( not the shelducks ) ? Could they be tufties in eclipse ?

Attachments

• IMG_1758a.jpg
    IMG_1758a.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 420
Something distracted me , turned round and they disappeared so only this.
we have them but I would have said too much white/lighter parts to be scoter.

Could they possibly be Velvet Scoters with a few with the white wing patches exposed?
I'm far from convinced but I just dont get a Tuftie feel from them.

Brent Geese, agreed. On the image supplied, middle two birds especially look good ( and not really like any other options). Apparent smaller size down to zoomed-in illusion.

I'm getting a Goldeneye impression from the low-in-the-water birds just left of centre. Heads look too big and short/round for Branta sp. for me.

velvet scoters for me - white patches on open wings, thick neck held high, pale spots on the lores and cheeks of some, others all black.

velvet scoters for me - white patches on open wings, thick neck held high, pale spots on the lores and cheeks of some, others all black.

i agree with scoters, especially as there is a very clear pale spot on at least one cheek and obvioustly the white wings, although i have to say the far right bird looks like a coot!

My first thought when I saw this picture was of Brent Geese - having waited and read a few other people's thoughts I think my mind is unchanged. Please put me down for another Brent vote :t:

Do Scoters hang out so close to the shore? I've never seen any scoters (yet), but my impression is that they keep over 50ft from the shoreline.
Personally, I don't see enough white for Brant, but I do believe behavior can further narrow down the ID.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back