• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Great Tits and mimicry (1 Viewer)

Monahawk

I've been birding for many years now, but one thing has puzzled me when it comes to one of the commonest species in the UK/Ireland, the Great Tit. Now I know it has the greatest range of singing notes among the local tit family, [ 101 different song variations I read somewhere ], but many seem to be imitations of other bird songs or calls. Are they natural mimics like starlings? I have found no written evidence of this in books. Some guides put it down to, sounds similar to...
I have heard local great tits sounding just like blue tits or long tailed tits, bang on the tone and frequency of said species. The other day while out walking the dog I heard what I was certain of was a bullfinch. On closer inspection it was a great tit. It had to be mimicry. Anyone on here throw any light on this or experienced this?

Si.

I've been birding for many years now, but one thing has puzzled me when it comes to one of the commonest species in the UK/Ireland, the Great Tit. Now I know it has the greatest range of singing notes among the local tit family, [ 101 different song variations I read somewhere ], but many seem to be imitations of other bird songs or calls. Are they natural mimics like starlings? I have found no written evidence of this in books. Some guides put it down to, sounds similar to...
I have heard local great tits sounding just like blue tits or long tailed tits, bang on the tone and frequency of said species. The other day while out walking the dog I heard what I was certain of was a bullfinch. On closer inspection it was a great tit. It had to be mimicry. Anyone on here throw any light on this or experienced this?

Si.

I would guess that some of the plethora of studies at Wytham Woods since 1947 will contain data on Great Tit Mimicry. Certainly I've been fooled many times during Spring surveys tracking down calls of other species, or indeed just 'odd' calls, only to find it was a Great Tit. On a couple of occasions, what I thought was a grey squirrel making a clicking noise was the same villain!
MJB

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back