• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

8X30 B/GA Olive Safari Model Info (1 Viewer)

Loud Green Man

Hi

I’ve just taken delivery of a replacement (new) 8X30 B/GA Dialyt in safari olive from a very helpful Zeiss UK but am slightly confused as this particular pair, as distinct from the ones they are replacing, has some kind of etched ranging reticule in the right-hand barrel.

Can anyone explain the history of this as there’s nothing in the accompanying manual or indeed on the box that hints at this feature or how to use it on a green woodpecker!

Any info gratefully received please.

Thank you

LGM

Hi LGM.

Action Optics of Southampton has a good description of how reticles work.

But not usually on green woodpeckers, unless they are 6ft tall and are armed.

Zeiss could remove the reticle, but it may be nicer to keep.

I don't like reticles for astronomy, but terrestrially they are O.K.

Hello LGM,

The reticule has use determining the distance of a target, if you know its size or its size if you know the distance. Soldiers and shooters find this useful for setting the sights on rifles; orienteers may find it useful for determining distances to objects of known height, like church steeples. If you know the size of a typical spotted green woodpecker, at a fair distance, you determine its distance.

Please note that the reticule is probably marked in milliradians. The markings should go out of focus and become invisible at close distances. So if your woodpecker is closer than 15 metres, you might not notice those markings.

That reticle might have been a costly option for the Safari.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur

According to Zeiss - who should know - they are the last remaining pair from a one-off and very limited run for a UK Special Forces Regiment!

LGM

Ask Paddy Ashdown.

I think Herefordshire is landlocked, but may have lakes.

I presume the Zeiss Safari 8x30 is waterproof.

i have no idea i posted that link strictly for the zeiss factory info and pics.i will say that i have seen a lot of those models suffer from premature cracking of the green rubber armor,it doesn't hold up nearly as well as the black rubber of the same era.In my opinion a good quality rubber treatment would be wise.
JEFF

Are these phase corrected? A simple test is to view your computer LCD screen while wearing polarized sunglasses. Place the binocular between you and the screen with the objective lenses facing you. Rotate it around the axis of one barrel and note what happens to the light that comes through that barrel. If you see one half of the circle black out at two positions as you rotate through 360º they are not phase corrected. You can also do the same test using a clear patch of blue sky opposite from the position of the sun.

Henry

Are these phase corrected? A simple test is to view your computer LCD screen while wearing polarized sunglasses. Place the binocular between you and the screen with the objective lenses facing you. Rotate it around the axis of one barrel and note what happens to the light that comes through that barrel. If you see one half of the circle black out at two positions as you rotate through 360º they are not phase corrected. You can also do the same test using a clear patch of blue sky opposite from the position of the sun.

Henry

Can't find a pair of Polaroid sunglasses so no idea I'm afraid.

They seem a little brighter and sharper than my old pair but that's most likely due to the scratched ocular lenses. When vewing with a magnifying glass it looks like they've been buffed with fine wire wool! Such a pity as the objectives are like new as is the rubber armouring that has acquired a pleasing polished patina over the last 30 years.

LGM

Henri, post 12,
The 8x30 Zeiss Safari I have tested a couple of years ago did not have phase coating and the image quality was rather dull and fairly dark compared with other investigated 8x30 binoculars. I do not know the production year of the tested 8x30 Safari, but it had nr. 1130633.
Gijs van Ginkel

hi,

Serial number 1130633 was manufactured in 1973.

The first production of the 8x30 BGA Olive was in 1968.

Gary.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back