• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

meadow pipit (1 Viewer)

T'was me that suggested John might want to seek confirmation here ... my comments on Gallery below

Hmmm.. where and when was it taken and have you any photos of its back/rump. It does have some characteristics of a first winter Red-throated Pipit - all white base colour to belly and flanks, what looks to be whitish mantle stripes, clear white edges to tertials, full thin eye ring - but I don't have enough experience of them to be sure, and Meadow pipits can look very pale and 'washed out' later in summer.

Might be worth posting on the ID forum.

I'd considered RTP - mainly due to the contrasty mantle and as you say, white base colour to underparts. But to me the head pattern looks rather plain for RTP and I would have expected a paler and more pink leg colour..... Some Meadows do lack the typical buffish tones to the underparts.

I'm likely wrong - especially as I've explained myself in some detail! :-O

Remember that RT Pipit has a long hind claw as well. Date and location will help a lot on this, but that back and flanks do look very streaked... but Icelandic/NW Meadow Pipits can be more pale and streaky... not just in late summer. There’s some pale non olive birds moving through Lancashire at the moment.

I'd guess it was taken from, say, February to April (May?) due to the rather cold colours, and the slightly worn look to the plumage.

Peter

As I’ve said, there are some very similar looking Meadow Pipits moving through Lancashire at the moment - most likely Icelandic birds. Without a back/rump view it would be very difficult to go down the RT Pipit route with this...
Ian

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back