• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hants, Berks and Surrey Borders (1 Viewer)

Quick walk around Tongham GP this morning produced nice patch tick - stunning male Bullfinch. Other birds seen / heard included Blackcap,Chiffchaff,Sedge Warbler,Reed Warbler,Whitethroat, & the solo Male Wigeon who has remained since the Winter. Walks planned later today at Brickfields & Rowhill reserves so more reports to follow.

Cheers,

John.

Sounds pretty good!

I've seen the juvenile mistle thrush for the first time today and there's something very strange sounding out the back which sounds a bit like a budgie.
Also a possible (and for the moment, I stress possible) tree sparrow near the meadows roundabout.

On walk back home via Tongham GP after a kick about with my son down at Aldershot Park tonight, I saw the local pair of Little Ringed Plovers.I hadn't seen them since the pool at Tices Meadow dried up a few weeks ago so good to see them still around.

Cheers,

John.

Found 'em. Two adults and a chick, which is quite a bit down on last year when there were several pairs. Still fairly tame, but still had to resort to digiscoping to get any shots. Also saw a meadow pipit, but nothing else too far out of the ordinary.
I'll post a photo in a bit.

here's the photo...
A bit sketchy, but it was digiscoped and it's enough for me to paint from...

Attachments

• little grebe 4a.jpg
    little grebe 4a.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 348
Well, weather was pretty poor, but there's a bit about on the pond.
two egyptian geese and four juveile mandarins, quite a few great crested grebes, half a dozen common terns, tons of canadas and greylags and a fair few reed warblers.
I'll chuck a photo on in a bit...

Thought I'd have a break as I've been on the computer for six days straight for twelve hours a day writing up.
Took a walk down the Blackwater from Swan Lane. Not much about, but did see two groups of Canada geese of all ages swimming and waddling along the rive. One group of 16 and a second of 33. Some of them were quite small and were just coming into their adult plumage. Sandhurst Balancing Pond is a bit of a state - looks like the blue-green algae has got in there. Still coot chicks and a small clutch of mallards. Didn't see much else as I went home half-way along as my cold's still making me a bit knackered.
However, I may still go for Dinton tomorrow, just for something to do as I've gone on strike from work for a couple of days...

Have you been for the Red Footed Falcon at Moor Green yet Tony? It was still about today & if you've got a couple of days spare, bit of a no brainer eh.

Cheers,

John.

Hi Johnny, I haven't yet and I didn't make it to Dinton either. I'm just waiting for the membership details for Moor Green so I can use the hides while I'm there as well. There's some hobbies there too.
At the moment it looks like I'll be up there on Tuesday as we're away this weekend and we've got a lot of stuff to sort out first.
Speaking of which, if you find yourself in Kent, in the vicinity of Richborough, I'm one of the archers on the Roman side...

Des - cheers!

A bit of a mixed bag lately. The square root of sod-all in the garden until today, but even then, nothing really (house sparrows, dunnock, blackbird). I did see a whole family of long-tailed tits in formation fly over the A30 on the way to Camberley. The house martins are still flying in and out of the eaves of the building over the McDonalds in Camberley as well as pied wagtails near the Meadows roundabout.

Looks like a green woodpecker has moved into the area. We've heard it close a few times in the last week, but no sightings.

A few days ago, it seemed the black-headed gulls were starting to accumulate on the Sandhurst Balancing Pond again, as well as a few more mallards and Canada geese. All four of the moorhen chicks are growing up well and still avoiding the foxes. The coot chicks have completely disappeared, probably off to pastures new (so one would hope). There were also five or six house martins over the pond.

Over on Yateley Common, there's not a lot about. Some juvenile blackbirds, blue tits, a family of green woodpeckers jumping from tree to tree, a willow warbler and a chiffchaff, of which I got a very poor photo which I'm too ashamed to show here.

The one downer was the female common pheasant who copped it at the Hawley roundabout (A30) today. Looked like a broken neck and took a few minutes to lie still, but no chance of me weaving amongst the moving cars to put it out of its misery, poor thing.
The foxes will get that tonight.

With some luck, I'll give myself a break from thesis writing (current rate 170 pages/year) and get to Moor Green, although the RFF has long gone by the look of it. As Noel Coward once said 'I always arrive somewhere just in time to miss something. I find it very relaxing.'
Or something like that.

Ah, forgot to say, on the little island on Bracknell Mill Pond, there was what looked like a chinese goose. Obviously plastic, but are they an 'artificial' breed (like khaki Campbell ducks) or just domesticated?

Gavin Haig said:
Does Fleet Pond come under NE Hants? Twitched there a couple of times some years ago - nice spot. Also have seen GG Shrike at Frensham (?) in the past, I think, so not all mundane stuff. Look forward to hearing what you see ;)

Exact ditto!

Gavin Haig said:
Does Fleet Pond come under NE Hants? Twitched there a couple of times some years ago - nice spot. Also have seen GG Shrike at Frensham (?) in the past, I think, so not all mundane stuff. Look forward to hearing what you see
Jos Stratford said:
Exact ditto!

Fleet Pond's definitely in. Although every time I go there, the weather's terrible or I can't do any birding as we're hiking there with the Scouts.
I'd like to go and have a look at Frensham, but it's just a case of cadging lifts depending on where Dad's working. The RSPB have bought a bit of it there and set up a reserve.

Fleet Pond's where I saw this little warbler chappie, although no clue as to what it is, even after posting it on the ID thread...

Attachments

• warbler.jpg
    warbler.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 360
Looks like a possible bit of bad news for the house sparrows round here. They've done well this year and there seems to be a lot more of them, but they mainly live in the bushes over the road. Unfortunately, these bushes are part of someone's hedge and I think words must have been had as they look set to trim it back a lot (we have a lot of people round here who'll go to the housing association at the drop of a hat...).
It'll be interesting to see if they cope ok.

And exciting bird news from my sister this morning:
'There were two birds in the garden earlier.'
'What did they look like?'
'Err, birds. They had feathers and stuff.'

colonelboris said:
Fleet Pond's where I saw this little warbler chappie, although no clue as to what it is, even after posting it on the ID thread...

tricky one as it is the head only of a recently fledged youngster (yellow gape) - from what I can see, I would ask if Cetti's occur there these days?

Well, it was mentioned, but I didn't hear any, only reed warblers. Here's another photo - showing the rump of a second bird next to the first and a third showing the underwings of the nearest bird.
Sketchy, I know...

Attachments

• warbler2.jpg
    warbler2.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 300
  • warbler3.jpg
    warbler3.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 328
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back