• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Montis at Frampton (1 Viewer)

John Marshall

Had a quick trip to the RSPB Watchpoint at Frampton this afternoon, complete with my new Birdforum cap- the only one in sight - Saw both male and female harriers, also a few Marsh Harriers and Little egrets. Spoke to a few birders who had been to Snettisham for the G.S.plover. Nice well behaved crowd, very enjoyable couple of hours. Did'nt get any offers for my Birdforum cap!!

Hi John,

I was there in the morning - I'd certainly have come over to a BF cap wearer!

I was surprised at how messy and brown the male was. Seemed to have a very brown tail and some sub-adult feathers retained on the upper-wing - much more than I've ever seen on any other adult male. Did you notice that?

Tom.

Hello Tom,

Indeed it was not a spectacular male, and with haze and fairly distant views not the best I have seen. Knew you had been also that you were at Snettisham earlier. My spies are watching you!!!! Hope you enjoyed my litt.e bit of Lincolnshire, incidentally Tom, my wife was born at College Farm where you saw the Montis. And wearing my other hat I have wildfowled the marshes in front of the watchpoint over many years.
Retired from that activity due to old age and inability to jump creeks any more. Nice hearing fom you.

Regards John

Hello John & Tom

Thats a nice tale about the farm John.
Can you remember if its changed names since then ??
I looked at an old-ish OS Map earlier in the week & i am sure the farm had a different name....?
I shall look at that map again soon to double check.

Tom (Serious)
Maybe you & John were looking at different males...?
As there are at least 2 at that location.......

Regards Stevie (cant wind down & sleep after C.Egret & L.B.Dow 2day!).

Stevie,

You really are having a good week!. About the farm name, I will ask my wifes mother who is 88 if the farm name was different from College farm that it is known now, she should know as she has a marvellous memory of past times of the marsh farms around Kirton/Frampton area in Lincs. Take your point on the harriers, I did know there were two males in the watchpoint area. Nice hearing from you.

Regards John

Hi Stevie again,

Have spoken to my wifes mother reference College Farm, Kirton marsh. She has told me that it was always known as "Bowsers farm" by everyone living in the area, this was in the late nineteen thirties. This may agree with what you have seen on your old O/S map. Would like you to let me know.

Regards John

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back