• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Durham Birding (9 Viewers)

Local Patch 2010

drake Pintail on Barmston Pond and first of the Common Tern back at WWWT this morning.

Attachments

• 02052010 005.jpg
    02052010 005.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 79
  • 02052010 007.jpg
    02052010 007.jpg
    160.8 KB · Views: 65
What agrade A ***** you are, what the hell was the need for that, either answer the perfectly reasonable question or just ignore it.

Adam he's from Coventry, you have obvoiusly not met many Brummies before. Coventronians especially have a complex mainly because of Birmingham and Aston Villa;)

I frequently see questions like this on Forums. Usually at the top of most computer screens there is a little box that you can fill in and something called a search takes place. It might be marked with the word "google" or similar. I just put the word Bollihope into mine and amazingly when I clicked my mouse a OS Grid reference for Bollihope Quarry magically appeared.

Incidentally please give the Ouzels there a fighting chance. There are lots of other sites where one could find ones own Ouzel

Listen, some of us don't know where some sites are. No need for having a go at me, and I have tried to find Ouzels in my area, but to no avail.
What agrade A ***** you are, what the hell was the need for that, either answer the perfectly reasonable question or just ignore it.
Agreed. No need to be harsh!

Last edited:
Hurworth Burn

What a blustery cold day - typical bank hol. I managed to find the Channel Wagtail at Hurworth Burn but it was very flighty, saw Hilary there who also managed to get a photo of it I think. Its a fine bird, plenty of Yellow Wagtails there too. Spent some time down at Saltholme but apart from the Yellow Wags it was fairly quiet - everything keeping their heads down.

Attachments

• Channel-Wagtail1.jpg
    Channel-Wagtail1.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 73
  • Yellow-Wagtail.jpg
    Yellow-Wagtail.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 68
I hope the Ring Ou.....I mean "The blackbird" hasn't put you off using this thread to ask questions birding maniac. I would just ignore stupid nonsense posts like that if I were you.:t:

EDIT: I have PM'd you the info birding maniac.

Cheers,

Last edited:
Nice to see the House Martins back in my housing estate today. I got my first House Martins today at Lamesley Meadows along with a cracking Wood Sandpiper.

I go all this time without seeing a House Martin and then I get about 10 in one go! House Martin takes the year list up to 171.

Went well west today, Cow Green Reservoir area actually.

1. Ring Ouzel 2. & 3. Common Sandpiper 4. Some bloke spoiling a good picture of Cauldron Snout ;)

Attachments

• 03052010 024.jpg
    03052010 024.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 108
  • 03052010 027.jpg
    03052010 027.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 87
  • 03052010 028.jpg
    03052010 028.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 95
  • P1010241smaller.jpg
    P1010241smaller.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 136
Just a few pics from my travels around the county this past month or so.

Attachments

• Little Sands 012.jpg
    Little Sands 012.jpg
    172.3 KB · Views: 87
  • Little Sands 005.jpg
    Little Sands 005.jpg
    240.2 KB · Views: 72
  • Little Sands 014.jpg
    Little Sands 014.jpg
    184.8 KB · Views: 101
  • Garga 007.jpg
    Garga 007.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 71
  • ICE 009.jpg
    ICE 009.jpg
    229.8 KB · Views: 58
Sorry; a few more.

Attachments

• Sedge 007.jpg
    Sedge 007.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 73
  • Greeb 003.jpg
    Greeb 003.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 81
  • Grassgropper 004.jpg
    Grassgropper 004.jpg
    195.4 KB · Views: 84
  • Fried Pie 012.jpg
    Fried Pie 012.jpg
    192.4 KB · Views: 91
  • Wask Redstart 008.jpg
    Wask Redstart 008.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 104
Hoopoe heard calling several times at Cowpen Bewley Woodland Park this morning. I was in a cereal crop on the north side of Claxton Beck but despite spending most of the morning looking I never did see it.

Hurworth Burn Reseveroir this afternoon - Channel Wagtail still present along with a Blue-headed Wagtail and several Yellow Wagtail. Willow Warbler, Chiffchaff, Linnet, Goldfinch, Dunnock and Chaffinch in bushes along cycleway.

First Cuckoo I've heard this year was calling from a wood to the west.

Quite a few geese around including three Pink-footed Geese on the north-east arm. Lots of Swallow, House Martin, Sand Martin

BTW - If anyone picked up a radio there on Sunday please let me know as I have contact details of the loser. It was lost between the car park and the picnic benches on the cycleway near the top of the reservoir.

Attachments

• IMG_1962aa.jpg
    IMG_1962aa.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_1945a.jpg
    IMG_1945a.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_1817a.jpg
    IMG_1817a.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_1784a.jpg
    IMG_1784a.jpg
    182.9 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_1648a.jpg
    IMG_1648a.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 70
Can anyone tell me what the bird is in picture 3 of the first set of Derek C's photos please? Are the birds in photo 1 Sanderlings?

Thanks in advance.

Matt

Can anyone tell me what the bird is in picture 3 of the first set of Derek C's photos please? Are the birds in photo 1 Sanderlings?

Thanks in advance.

Matt

Sanderlings and Purple Sandpiper - there's still an odd one or two on the Headland at Hartlepool.

Hurworth Burn this afternoon - Lesser Whitethroat by bridge over road (thanks Andrew), Garden Warbler x2 by platform feeding station, Channel Wagtail still in same spot, several Whitethroat, Willow Warbler, Linnet, Goldfinch, Yellowhammer and Yellow Wagtail along the cycleway.

Common Tern x1 on NE arm of reservoir and resting on half-submerged tern raft along with Pied Wagtail and an Oystercatcher. Only one Pink-footed Goose in view today. Buzzard over wood to east and Cuckoo again calling from same area.

I'm not sure how regular they are here due to lack of habitat but a Sedge Warbler was calling from the waters edge by the lower bench facing east over the arm by the most northerly picnic benches.

Not so many Swallow, Swift, Sand Martin or House Martin today but still a few around. Grey Heron, Shelduck, Cormorant and Great Crested Grebe on the reservoir itself plus a few Mallard, Tufted Duck and Moorhen.

Attachments

• IMG_2589a.jpg
    IMG_2589a.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_2670a.jpg
    IMG_2670a.jpg
    172.3 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_2703a.jpg
    IMG_2703a.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_2949a.jpg
    IMG_2949a.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_2677a.jpg
    IMG_2677a.jpg
    193.1 KB · Views: 96
Tunstall Reservoir this morning covering the dam wall and Backstone Bank Wood. A little windy and downright cold but bright and sunny on and off.

Starting off the Common Sandpiper was in it's usual place along the dam wall. Lots of Sand Martin and a few Swallows House Martin were feeding over the grassy bank of the dam plus around dozen Goldfinch in the grass.

Half way up the track on the far side of the dam a Wood Warbler was sporadically calling directly above me. There's been one in the same place the last two years. On reaching the top of the hairpin bend where the upper path forks left through the wood a Wood Warbler was calling 60-70m up the slope which may have been the same bird relocated though one was later calling from the original spot again. A pair of Nuthatch were in the same area and a Treecreeper.

Finding birds was very hard going mostly spotted by sight rather than calls. The only birds notably singing as I made my way along the path through the wood were Willow Warbler and occasionally a Chaffinch. I saw very little starting off as I made my way along the path to where it begins to rise. I came across Robin, Wren, Blue Tit, Great Tit, Treecreeper, Nuthatch, a male Pied Flycatcher and at the furthest point a Redstart. The Redstart began to sing and from then on it never stopped.

Heading back down the path I came across another three Pied Flycatchers (2m,1f) of which the males were chasing each other around. One called occasionally but never very much or for very long. I saw no indication of nesting.

Back where the path ends another three Redstart had appeared comprising two males and a female. The males seemed to be competing as they sang for 30-40 minutes before stopping again.

As I left the wood once again only the Willow Warblers could be heard. Maybe it was the cold temperatures that put them off as usually when I visit in May the woods are alive with bird song. At least there's still very few leaves on the trees so visibility is still pretty good for spotting stuff.

I then popped over to Muggleswick but there was little to see. One distant Redstart and a distant male and female Pied Flycatcher. The Redstart briefly sang.

Attachments

• IMG_3192ao.jpg
    IMG_3192ao.jpg
    233.7 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_3249ao.jpg
    IMG_3249ao.jpg
    165.2 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_3283ao.jpg
    IMG_3283ao.jpg
    198.2 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_3389ao.jpg
    IMG_3389ao.jpg
    166.9 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_3328ao.jpg
    IMG_3328ao.jpg
    218.9 KB · Views: 74
Hoopoe heard calling several times at Cowpen Bewley Woodland Park this morning. I was in a cereal crop on the north side of Claxton Beck but despite spending most of the morning looking I never did see it.

Spent nearly 3 years in Spain and saw and heard plenty of these.Beautiful bird and didn`t expect one to turn up in Teesside.

Graham

Spent nearly 3 years in Spain and saw and heard plenty of these.Beautiful bird and didn`t expect one to turn up in Teesside.

Graham

Hi Graham,

They do every turn up locally every couple of years. I remember one was found on the golf course at Seaton Carew 4-5 years ago.

A shame this one didn't show itself. It's not been seen/heard again since. I was hoping it may turn up somewhere else locally.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back