• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

North Texas Duck ID (1 Viewer)

RCHines

My wife sent me this picture and i'm baffled as to what it is. Taken today, 05/23/17, in a suburban pond/park area near Denton, Texas, USA. She said it's super friendly and hanging out with them. I suspect maybe domestic but figured I'd ask the experts here first!

Thanks!

Attachments

• duck.jpg
    duck.jpg
    169.3 KB · Views: 36
Looks a lot to me like one of the Whistling-ducks, but doesn't seem exactly like any particular one that I know. Of the North American species, it's most like Fulvous, although the back isn't dark enough, and the flank pattern's all wrong. I suppose it could be an escaped exotic bird from a collection, in which case it could be from anywhere - if that is the case, I would suggest West Indian Whistling-duck.

Looks a lot to me like one of the Whistling-ducks, but doesn't seem exactly like any particular one that I know. Of the North American species, it's most like Fulvous, although the back isn't dark enough, and the flank pattern's all wrong. I suppose it could be an escaped exotic bird from a collection, in which case it could be from anywhere - if that is the case, I would suggest West Indian Whistling-duck.

I googled the West indian Whistling-duck and sent my wife a picture and she said that was it! So probably solved it but if anyone else has anything I'm all ears/eyes! :)

Thank you!

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back