• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Crossbills - Scotland, UK (1 Viewer)

RegTelescope

Who was breaking away from the pack.
Interested in people's opinions on these.

I won't disclose too much information at this point, but I can give location, date and a bit of detail on the calls later on.

Attachments

• Scotland - May 2008 128.jpg
    Scotland - May 2008 128.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 302
  • Scotland - May 2008 129.jpg
    Scotland - May 2008 129.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 273
20 years ago I might have confidently pronounced them as Scottish Crossbills (if they were in a Scotbill stronghold) These days I wouldn't consider it without a sound recording!

They were within Scottish Crossbill range. There were a good number of these birds, but I was only able to get these photos unfortunately.

The call was more like 'chup chup', quite deep, but I know that everyone says recordings are necessary to make an absolutely positive ID.

At this stage, I have been happy to tick them as Scottish, not Common.

I guess it was always going to be a tick where there was a degree of doubt, but in the field these birds just didn't have the feel of Commons, and I was very mindful of not letting my heart rule my head.

They look like 'pine crossbills' on plumage to me but then I have seen Commons with similar plumage (there used to be a pic of a 4E type on my blog that looked "Scottish").

Hard to tell from bill size in the photos, as they look more Common, though I don't put too much precedence on this from photos as the angle the lens is at affects the appearance. But let's put it this way - I would not be surprised if a bird like that gave an EcC toop call (Scottish under current nomenclature). The bad news: this would not be "chup, chup" for either an excitement call or flight call ! "Choop" is the Parrot flight call, and as others have said these ain't Parrots (though I suppose they could be xbills that think they are Parrots !). Did they give this "chup" call as they flew away or was in similar to the cadence of blackbirds alarming. Did they all give this call at the same time. Did they give this call sporadically when feeding. This would help a diagnosis.

Would be nice idea to disclose date, rough location (even 10km) and any other details (how many, behaviour when feeding) as that might help me further. Either way, can't guarantee a tick I am afraid, based on the fact there are also Commons with similar dusky plumage (and even intermediate bill depths).

Lindsay

The location was near Loch Kinord and the two pictures were taken just over a week ago.

The calls seemed to be regular and constant, like a kind of contact call as the birds fed. I know the pictures aren't of the highest quality and ID from them is nigh impossible, but I am a birder who carries a point and shoot digital camera with me for record shots, as opposed to a serious photographer.

Having had a few encounters with Common Crossbills over the last year or two, I would say that the majority of these birds (it was a small flock that was observed) didn't have the same look and feel as them and the calls didn't seem right.

You only have my word on this, and I don't wish to sound big-headed, but I generally have a good ear for bird song and calls. Having said that, from what I can tell, most people say ID without sonograms etc is very difficult.

I studied the flock with the view to stating why they weren't Scottish Crossbills and, despite noting one individual that looked better for Common, the remainder of the birds seemed to fit the bill (no pun intended!).

Compare with this admittedly poor picture of a Common taken in Devon in February.

Attachments

• Birding In Devon - Feb 2008 013.JPG
    Birding In Devon - Feb 2008 013.JPG
    206.8 KB · Views: 159
The calls seemed to be regular and constant, like a kind of contact call as the birds fed.

These are non diagnostic as I suspected.

You only have my word on this, and I don't wish to sound big-headed, but I generally have a good ear for bird song and calls. Having said that, from what I can tell, most people say ID without sonograms etc is very difficult.

It doesn't matter how good your ear is, though this obviously helps. Without also having considerabe experience of the various crossbill calls you are not going to convince anyone without a sonogram ! There are currently at least five vocal types present in the UK and within these there is considerable variation, for example with Fc1 in particular.

Feel free to tick them as Scottish but plently birders wouldn't without further evidence. To prove this point I have posted a pic of a Common Crossbill on my blog that is very much like a scotica specimen - intermediate bill, downcurved culmen and dusky orange plumage. It gave a both an EcE and Fc4 on release. There is a chance yours are Scottish, but who knows for sure.....

Lindsay

Last edited:
I made the trip to Scotland in December and saw flocks on most days. The only ones I could actually ID 100% were common and parrot. I heard what I thought were Scots and saw what I thought were Scots, but without Sonograms (or DNA) I have not be able to say 100% that I saw the Scot Crosser.

Therefore like many before and many after I am returning to the Highlands to try and get some recordings so I can try and nail some for sure. I seriously underestimated the difficulty with this 'species'

Therefore like many before and many after I am returning to the Highlands to try and get some recordings so I can try and nail some for sure.

The trouble is that this can lead to even more confusion. Look at the sonograms in posts 23 and 37 in this thread. Both recorded in Speyside native pine forest, but neither matching any published call types.

I might be tempted to call both of them Scottish but who knows?

.....The trouble is that this can lead to even more confusion.....

Yep, it is one thing getting a recording of a crossbill and another thing being able to identify it correctly from a sonogram. Like doing the calls by ear, it needs a lot of experience.

My sonogram consultancy business will be starting soon for all these vague and variant calls (I joke, of course).

Lindsay

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back