• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Extremadura (1 Viewer)

delia todd

If I said the wrong thing it was a Senior Moment
Staff member
Opus Editor
Supporter
Scotland
Stephen Fletcher is currently editing some Spanish articles.

It appears there are several sites in Extramadura, so he's going to add that as a Category to those articles.

Er... what do I do next? Its so long since I did anything on that side of things (if I ever did) that I can't remember!

D

Yeah! Thanks Niels... though I'm now wondering if that is what I actually wanted:h?:

I'm thinking it might have been better as a separate article (rather than a category), with links to the different sites.

Any thoughts on that?

D

I have never spent much time in the categories, but I think that unless there is someone that writes a major amount of text for Extremadura overall you have done the right thing. As long as there is a clear redirect to your Category page (and I believe there is).

Another way I think I have seen the problem handled is to have the category page, a text page for the area, and in the latter, a text link saying something similar to "Click here for a list of locations in XX" with the link taking the reader to the category page.

Cheers
Niels

Stephen has just contacted me regarding various ideas he has on this, so I'm moving this thread to the open Discussion Forum, where it will be easier for him to add his comments.

D

Hi All

As i explained to Delia, i can write as much or as little as you want on Extremadura, along with photos, and maps showing actual locations of the sub-headings. I can either do it as a one-off paragraph, briefly outlining what Extremadura has to offer, or along similar lines to other locations, utilising sub-headings.

Another point i made was bout the actual locations, Delia sorted out a sub-location within Spain for me, titled Extremadura, but the sub-locations, Casas de Hitos for example, which i have almost finished, still comes under the Spain heading too, would it be better for these to be removed, and appear solely in Extremadura, as some of the location sub-headings may mean very little to someone unless they have previously visited here, but if they look under the heading of Extremadura it would become apparent on where it was.

It would be easier if other editors were also answering this, but here are some thoughts:

We could treat Spain similarly to what we do with the USA, there a location only has link to the state page, and the state page links to USA. Both state and country pages would be category pages that should have a redirect so that a casual user would reach it. However, are there any likely birding locations that span a Spanish region border?

I don't think there is anything wrong with giving a longer description of a region such as Extremadura, similarly to what I did with Dominica (which is probably smaller than Extremadura but is an independent country). Of course, you would not like too much of the information to be repeated between this overall page and the individual location pages.

The issue I do not have the real solution to is whether to include that description on the category page with just a redirect leading there, or to have an independent regular Extremadura page with a link to the category page.

Cheers
Niels

Hi Niels

Your Dominica page is similar to what i had envisaged for Extremadura, but how to incorporate the various locations within that page would be the problem for me, but probably a simple task for the editors, unless it is left as at present, where individual locations appear at the bottom of the page. How do i link bird species when mentioned in a location page, to their individual page within Opus ?

Hi Niels

Your Dominica page is similar to what i had envisaged for Extremadura, but how to incorporate the various locations within that page would be the problem for me, but probably a simple task for the editors, unless it is left as at present, where individual locations appear at the bottom of the page. How do i link bird species when mentioned in a location page, to their individual page within Opus ?

For all opus pages, linking is pretty simple: just include the name of the page (for birds, the opus name of the bird) into double square brackets (e.g., [[Eurasian Wigeon]]). When you preview or save the page, the link then appears in blue (or in orange if you try to link to something that does not exist or if you misspelled the target).

If you edit directly the Category:Extremadura page, then the pages belonging to that category will automatically show up at the end. If you make a separate page, then you would have to (1) manually link to each location, and (2) come back and add another manual link if a new location appears (possibly someone else put it in).

Niels

I always seem to get a bit lost when talking about Categories:gh:

It seems that Extremadura straddles the border with Portugal (as well as different Regions in Spain??), so I've a feeling it might be better to have Extremadura as a Category, with an overall view and possibly a map.

Then provide links to the different articles covering the area - rather like your Dominica page and Switzerland.

D

The western border of Extremadura is shared with Portugal, if thats what you mean Delia, ( not Gelia, like i just noticed on a message i sent you, sorry )

LOL just gone to look - been called worse:-O

OK... I'd carry on editing Extremadura as and when you can manage.

Niels: do you suggest we take Category:Spain out of the Extramadura articles, and just leave them with Category:Extramadura?

D

Niels: do you suggest we take Category:Spain out of the Extramadura articles, and just leave them with Category:Extramadura?

D

I did suggest that as a possibility, but I would like to retract that now. I just looked at what you had done in Scotland, and found that you had both country and section category in each location (if I understand correctly). Therefore, let us do something similar in Spain.

Stephen, how many regions are there in Spain? Would it make sense to make categories for the whole slew of them now? I am not sure, because there would be several without any location in them I think (on the other hand, Alabama still only contains one ;) )

Niels

Hi Niels

There are 17 autonomous provinces in Spain, counting Balearics, and Canaries. However, the problem arises when birders refer to these areas, for example, they probably wouldnt refer to Catalonia when wanting to look for the Ebro Delta for example, or Andalucia when looking for Coto Donana, but Extremadura is usually referred to as plain Extremadura. The Pyrenees also stretches through Navarre, Aragon and Catalonia, making it difficult also. My own personal view, would be that Spain be split into areas of birding that visitors would recognise, such as Extremadura, Pyrenees, Ebro Delta, Barcelona area, Coto Donana, etc, though others may have better ideas. If someone wanted to add a new area to Opus, they could then start a new sub-location within Spain. I am merely thinking of potential searches on Opus, as it will then enable people to look for locations in a particular area they may be interested in, rather than trawling through a list of place names that could potentially mean nothing to them.

And Pyrenees spanning the border with France complicates things further ;)

One little thing, at the top of the Extremadura page you should have a line containing this: Disambiguation: this page is for the Spanish province of Extremadura. For sites in the Portuguese landscape of the same name, see [[Portugal]]

For now, three provinces have their own subcategory under Spain (Extremadura, Balearics and the Canaries). I think there should be a redirect for each of the rest to the page for Spain, and I can make those if you provide a list.

A next step as you say would be to generate regions that makes sense: I am not sure that Andalusia would be such a bad section to have, but the others probably should be larger than the provinces. If there is a map in the Spain page showing where to find what, then it will be ok even if the names are not that perfect.

Delia, who made the Scotland map?

cheers
Niels

And Pyrenees spanning the border with France complicates things further ;)

Only for geographers, in my opinion, birders would soon find the locations they wanted under a heading of Pyrenees.

I can make you a map of Spain showing all existing locations if you want. I intend doing the same for Extremadura.

The area in Portugal is not Extremadura, it is Estremadura, so no need for disambiguation perhaps.

One additional thing: any location that still contain a heading followed by "to do" should start with this template at the very top: {{incompletelocation}}

Cheers
Niels

Only for geographers, in my opinion, birders would soon find the locations they wanted under a heading of Pyrenees.
Like Cirque de Gavernie? I would recommend making the name of your section "Spanish Pyrenees".

I can make you a map of Spain showing all existing locations if you want. I intend doing the same for Extremadura.
I think it will be more useful to make a map showing the regions as done in the Scotland page (one less thing to change when a new location appear). Just remember that we have to have legal access to the map, no copyright violation.

The area in Portugal is not Extremadura, it is Estremadura, so no need for disambiguation perhaps.
I would still prefer to have a disambiguation, but of course slightly reworded.

Cheers
Niels

I do some work for the Extremadura Tourist Board, so getting permission to use a map should be no problem, but i will draw one from scratch, which will save any hassle.

If someone can put the disambiguation on, id be grateful, im still very much learning here.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back