• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding in Sardinia- which part? (1 Viewer)

wildlifeweb

Hello all,
we are heading to Sardinia in October. I need to choose a part of the island that has a beach (kids) but has easy access to the mountains, national parks and some reasonably non-touristy bits where granny can chat to locals (she is from Rome) and eat good local food. We are birders but also into other wildlife.
There is a hotel on the east coast at Cala Gonone, which looks good- is this is good location for us?
If not, where should we go for combination of beach, mountains, and tradition? Night clubs not required!
Many thanks
Paul

Hello all,
we are heading to Sardinia in October. I need to choose a part of the island that has a beach (kids) but has easy access to the mountains, national parks and some reasonably non-touristy bits where granny can chat to locals (she is from Rome) and eat good local food. We are birders but also into other wildlife.
There is a hotel on the east coast at Cala Gonone, which looks good- is this is good location for us?
If not, where should we go for combination of beach, mountains, and tradition? Night clubs not required!
Many thanks
Paul

hi Paul, you have choose the best island for your holiday.

The aree near Cala Gonone is beutiful for limestone rocks formations and is very close to the Gennergentu Regional Park. The sea is also beautiful, no big beach (is better) and in some case is necessary take a boat to go, or take a walk.

For birdwatching there are other aree near Oristano and near Cagliari and last but not least the Carloforte Island.

The cost from Oristano to Iglesias in wild, and you can go to Piscinas, a beautiful beach whit white sand dunes.
You can see Phoenicopterus ruber (Fenicottero), Porphyrio porphyrio (Pollo Sultano), Oxyura leucocephala (Gobbo rugginoso) if there are not in holiday :king:

Near Cagliari there are beatiful beach like Porto Pine, Capo Teulada and the salinas.

Carloforte is a little island where you can find the Falco eleonorae (Falco della Regina)

For the food no problem, is always good, fish and meat ( little pig, maialino arrosto ) are fantastic and don't forget cakies (seadas).

Take your time to make a choice in October I think that you don't have problem to find a hotel or other solution. All the Italian are at work.

sorry for my poor english
bye

Thankyou for your very helpful reply! It would be great to see Oxyura leucocephala- has this been reintroduced in Sardinia?
I thought it was extinct there.
Paul

How was your stay?

Thankyou for your very helpful reply! It would be great to see Oxyura leucocephala- has this been reintroduced in Sardinia?
I thought it was extinct there.
Paul

Paul, how was your stay? Any recommendations birdwise? We'll basically just be in the southern part.

Paul, how was your stay? Any recommendations birdwise? We'll basically just be in the southern part.

We were very disappointed, I'm afraid. Wrong time of year to be going. The litter problem was very bad- even in the wilder parts- it seems as if the summer tourists had used the entire east coast as a toilet, and no-one had bothered to smarten it up a bit- and very few birds around. On top of that, I got food poisoning from one of the restaurants. We found it impossible to drive around as the local drivers were so aggressive and impatient. All in all a very disappointing birding holiday. Even though my family comes from there 3 generations back, I don't think I'll be returning. I hope you have better luck!

We were very disappointed, I'm afraid. Wrong time of year to be going. The litter problem was very bad- even in the wilder parts- it seems as if the summer tourists had used the entire east coast as a toilet, and no-one had bothered to smarten it up a bit- and very few birds around. On top of that, I got food poisoning from one of the restaurants.

What a ugly time!
Could you please let me know where did you stay exactly and where did you go for birding?
Send me a private message if you like

Luciano

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back