• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Two great days! And some questions... (1 Viewer)

david2004

Had two great days in the garden! Yesterday I saw my first Goldcrest since living here! (small possibility of Firecrest though as I only got a glimpse and looked quite like one!) I then saw not one, but two treecreepers feeding, and doing courtship rituals!

Later that day a GOLDFINCH came to the Sunflower hearts! I have only ever seen one once, nowhere near the feeding station and have been trying to attract them since last May! Not only that, but it came back again today!
Will it keep coming now, and will it bring more with it?

Some LTT's have been visiting the feeding station recently which is great! I also saw the Goldcrest again today, but briefly.

I am also recently seeing a lot of Chaffinches (10-16 at least!) which feed every day. Will they stay around and breed? There are a LOT of them and there never used to be that many - one or two occasionally.

House Sparrows are also around now since about December. Will they stay? I never used to have any, and hope they find the House Sparrow terrace!

Sorry it's so long!!

Sounds like the birds have sussed out that there's food around! Once they DO start to arrive it's amazing just how quickly numbers and species do build up! Great, isn't it!!!
I used to see Goldcrest quite regular when we first moved in last October but they've totally disappeared since...not had a single one yet this year! Sure they'll soon be back though!

GILL

Thanks Gill! I'm sure they will be back! Apparently Goldcrests feed from fat/fat balls and come to bird tables! Is this true, and has anyone experienced this?

tp20uk said:
Thanks Gill! I'm sure they will be back! Apparently Goldcrests feed from fat/fat balls and come to bird tables! Is this true, and has anyone experienced this?

It has been known to happen occasionally, but it is rare, don't rely on it happening!

The Chaffies might well stay to breed, but they're very secretive about hiding their nests out of view, so you might not know it even if they do. If they carry on visiting the garden through May, chances are the nest won't be far away - just don't expect to see the nest!

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back