• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Puget Sound, near Ft. Lewis (1 Viewer)

Norvegica

My husband, Mr. D, and I went birding. Mr. D is definitely not a birder. He jogs. So he functions like my scout telling me where he saw birds and then I get to go later with him to find out exactly what he saw.

It was around 2:30 pm, overcast and intermittently windy with some sprinkling.

We hiked through trails in a Douglas Fir forest.

The highlight was coming across a mixed flock foraging.

Golden-crowned Kinglet (Regulus satrapa)
Black-capped Chickadee (Poecile atricapillus )
Brown Creeper (Certhia americana)

When I looked them up, it was great to find out that the mysterious "chi-chi-chi" call that eluded me was the Golden-crowned Kinglet's call.

All were discovered flitting low around or through a 3x4' shrub. The Brown Ceeper was doing its creeping thing, up and up a tree trunk.

Mr. D insisted that I could go closer without bothering the birds. (He got impatient with my attempts to Attenborough it. Mr. D's more like the Crocodile Hunter in approaching wildlife.)

It was cool and Mr. D got first spotting.

"It's a Panda Bird! Look-look-look!" (The Chickadee)

And then the rest of them just popped out of the shrubs and stayed long enough to be seen.

Sounds like you had a grand afternoon, in the southernmost reaches of the Puget. "Panda bird" - just love that! Here, the Black-capped chickadee is the friendliest of my birds - bravest, too, easily convinced to come to a seed cup - and once they've gotten a sunflower seed or piece of peanut, the titmice usually 'man up', and come for their share. I only see kinglets here, on the Northernmost reaches of the Eastern Shore of the Chesapeake (Elk River, to be specific), on rare occasion - I don't have nearly as many pines as sweet gum. The scattered loblolly pines in my woodland are top-heavy trees, with shallow root systems, and thus susceptible to damage in high winds. I'm considering putting in a row of eastern white pine, just to encourage some of the warblers and other conifer fans. I've a friend who's moved to Bainbridge Island, and I'm hoping to see some photos of the flora and fauna of the area ... hope you'll also get a chance to upload some photos!

Attachments

• Titmouse at Seed Cup.jpg
    Titmouse at Seed Cup.jpg
    166.1 KB · Views: 47
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back