• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Spring (1 Viewer)

Chuck A. Walla

After several weeks of cold wet windy weather, spring appears to have arrived in southern Nevada. High today near 85 deg F. Most of my goldfinches have left but I still have 3 or 4. Mostly Red-winged Black birds, House Finches and Inca Dove.

The Plum tree in my front yard is blooming and a hummer is visiting. Haven't ID yet but I did notice very long, apparently black gorget. Probably Anna's but will wait till he shows up again.

bob

Last edited:
Haven't a clue what 85 F is, but it sounds hot??? Here, a nice mild spring day (14°C), but very windy.

Black-chinned Hummer? - Sibley shows Anna's as very marginal in Nevada

Michael

Michael Frankis said:
Haven't a clue what 85 F is, but it sounds hot??? Here, a nice mild spring day (14°C), but very windy.

Michael

85ºF is 29.4444........ºC!!!!

Michael Frankis said:

Michael

According to reports on the Nevada Birds List, [email protected], Anna's are over wintering more often in southern Nevada of late. I'm roughly halfway between Las Vegas and Beatty, (Indian Springs isn't on all maps) and I appear to be at or above the very northern tip of their winter range. I have positive ID on Anna's up until 15 Dec. and as early as 20 Jan. at my feeders. I've been told from the same source that Black-chinned are later arrivals. I never noticed Black-chinned having a gorget drooping down like a handlebar mustache before, but I'm still a novice and this may well be a Black-chinned. I hope to get pictures tomorrow.

My min/max thermometer showed a min of -6 deg C (20 F) and a max of 29 C (84 F) last week, and we may be due for another cold snap, or not.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back