• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Unwelcome visitor (1 Viewer)

scampo said:
Didn't you believe me back up the top of the page? My you take some convincing!

((-;

Actually Steve, I call all birds "he" unless I definitely know otherwise! In this case we had not checked our references properly, and because it looked rather large, jumped to the wrong conclusion! Why the :bounce: ??

Hi Elizabeth,
Beautiful bird but most upsetting when they take your 'friends'. I just wish they would eat somewhere else but unfortunately we provide the perfect restaurant for them by encouraging the smaller birds into our gardens.

Advice I have been given is to place your feeders near or under cover. Also the RSPB recommend helium balloons around your feeders (not sure how you are supposed to keep this up!) or long sticks around your feeders. Again not very practical or attractive and I don't know where you can get them long enough to do the job. The smaller birds are supposed to be able to navigate them easier than a sparrowhawk.

And I also tend to call them 'he' unless it is obvious they're not.

Elizabeth Bigg said:
Actually Steve, I call all birds "he" unless I definitely know otherwise! In this case we had not checked our references properly, and because it looked rather large, jumped to the wrong conclusion! Why the :bounce: ??
Why the smiley? Ah, I was being a bit tongue in cheek when I said you need some convincing!

Elizabeth Bigg said:
Actually Steve, I call all birds "he" unless I definitely know otherwise! .....
In my case, I tend to call them `he' even when I know they're a `she' .... don't know why, it just always seems to trip of the tongue more easily. It's not even just those that look similar - all pheasants are `he', regardless (perhaps I just can't bring myself to admit that the female of any species can be quite that stupid !!)

Hope Fluffy, Barney et al haven't been too frieked by their new neighbour. I've been looking foward to following their exploits through summer.

Annie

AnnieW said:
Hope Fluffy, Barney et al haven't been too frieked by their new neighbour. I've been looking foward to following their exploits through summer.

Annie

Activity has continued as usual, so they have shown no sign of being upset - but it's a bit worrying. Actually Fluffy and Barney are safely round the other side of the house - it's Box 1 that is uncomfortably close to the sparrowhawk perch.

Have you seen the "guess the date of the first egg" competition?

Elizabeth Bigg said:
I was meaning the smiley you posted yesterday at 18.39!!!!! That was before the convincing message!
Ah - but that was a different "Steve", Elizabeth - not "scampo" but "steve_nova".

Have not seen "ours" for a few weeks. they sure are lean mean killing machines, but hey thats natures way.
bert.

Sitting down to lunch today I was watching a Collared Dove feeding on spilt Sunflower seed on the ground when out of nowhere a Sparrowhawk appeared and the Dove disappeared in a puff of feathers.

Nature red in tooth and claw, it`s special to witness such things.

scampo said:
And named after HRH, too!

Steve you'll get done for lese-majesty - if you mean the person I think you are meaning, she's been HM for over 50 years now!!!

Though on second thoughts, she was HRH when I was born. OK - I'll let you have that, but you're wrong anyway. I was named for my paternal grandmother, and many other family members on both sides.

Last edited:
You're quite right there - silly (and naughty) me. Hey - I wonder if it's possible to be guilty of lese-majesty any longer? I'm sure it is, but how things have changed!

"I'faith! Off with the cur's head!"

scampo said:
You're quite right there - silly (and naughty) me. Hey - I wonder if it's possible to be guilty of lese-majesty any longer? I'm sure it is, but how things have changed!

"I'faith! Off with the cur's head!"

I'll see if I can find out!!! (You missed two typos in my message - now corrected!!

Very interesting! Freedom of speech? Ah well - freedom is such an odd and paradoxical concept. If a person is free to do many things, it can mean that others cannot be free from having something done to them.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back