• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My amazing day................... (1 Viewer)

Two more redpoll pics - not forgetting the siskins and goldfinch!

Attachments

• redpoll goldfinch siskin group 360.jpg
    redpoll goldfinch siskin group 360.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 159
  • redpoll (M) 396.jpg
    redpoll (M) 396.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 153
They are lovely photos Elizabeth, I have never seen a redpoll before. Does anyone know if they venture into West Wales? Am I likely to ever see one in the flesh I wonder?

I have been putting niger out for months here, as I have probably mentioned on other threads, but only in a normal type of feeder. I notice you have the proper one, does it really make a difference I wonder? And are they only available online? I have never seen any for sale in any of the feed stores that I buy from.

songbird said:
They are lovely photos Elizabeth, I have never seen a redpoll before. Does anyone know if they venture into West Wales? Am I likely to ever see one in the flesh I wonder?

I have been putting niger out for months here, as I have probably mentioned on other threads, but only in a normal type of feeder. I notice you have the proper one, does it really make a difference I wonder? And are they only available online? I have never seen any for sale in any of the feed stores that I buy from.

We have a tremendous amount of wastage from the special niger feeders, so I dread to think what would happen with general seed feeders! :eek!: :eek!: The only place I have seen niger feeders on general sale (other than by mail order/online) was yesterday at WWT Barnes, in London. This is the first time we have ever seen redpolls!

songbird said:

Hi, Songbird,

Redpolls are not so common in gardens as Siskins so your best chance is to check out any Birch or Alder trees that may be in your area, especially throughout the 'winter' from about October to March/April.

They might not be as red as the one in Elizabeth's photo, though! That one must be a male coming into breeding plumage.

As well as feeding on the seeds of the above tree species they will also feed on the pollen in the 'catkins' of those trees or indeed others - I saw three a few days ago feeding on 'pussy willows,' the catkins of Sallows.

Just read this thread late due to the size of BF and it is good to see someone is as excited about Siskins and Redpolls in their garden. I'd love to see a Redpoll accompany our few Siskins one day. Have your Siskin numbers started dropping now spring is here?

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back