• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bristol Barn Owl? (1 Viewer)

njlarsen

Gallery Moderator
Opus Editor
Supporter
Barbados
Dear All,
I would really like to know if there is a location for seeing Barn Owls in or near Bristol? I will be there for a couple of days in May.

And my apologies for posting here if this is the wrong forum: I have just read that Bristol always have been its own County, and that Avon does not even exist as a county anymore, but someone else stated that Bristol sometimes have been included in Avon OR Somerset, so I was a little confused with where to post. ;)

Niels

Thanks for your answer! As luck has it, I will probably not come back to the Bristol area :-C

Niels

Understood - just for information

Thanks for your answer! As luck has it, I will probably not come back to the Bristol area :-C

Niels

Sorry the information came too late for your visit, but this seemed as good a thread as any to put the information for anyone else who may visit the Bristol area in search of Owls (or waterfowl for that matter).

Overscourt Wood, near Siston on the road towards Wick is a good spot. I haven't seen them there (only because I've only been once or twice), however I know for a fact that there is a pair on the right hand side of the road as you head towards Wick. There is a gate entering into a field and they apparently regularly hunt in the field there, where there is also a nest box, which I'm told is regularly used.

Dave

I have just read that Bristol always have been its own County, and that Avon does not even exist as a county anymore, but someone else stated that Bristol sometimes have been included in Avon OR Somerset, so I was a little confused with where to post. ;)

Niels

Sleep easy on this one. Even the locals aren't too sure but tend to use Avon as a neat catch-all for the Greater Bristol area. If you want more confusion try Bristol? Or Somerset?

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back