• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Astro e/ps on ATM65 (1 Viewer)

Boogieshrew

Hi all,

does any one have any recommendations for astro e/ps on Swaro scopes?

I am thinking of buying one of the Valeasy adaptors to try some fixed mag e/ps.

I have the 25-50x zoom and, although I have largely got used to the finnicky eye placement to avoid kidney bean blackouts, it still bugs me on occasion. I have always preferred a very wide fixed e/p to a zoom so I'd like to try some on the ATM65. I also prefer long eye relief, like around 20mm, for the best viewing comfort.

Thanks for your input.

BS

If you're thinking of a wide field eyepiece in the 30x range I would consider looking first for a used Swarovski 30x SW. I much prefer it to the Pentax 14mm XW or any other astronomical eyepiece of similar focal length (15.4 mm). The field is essentially sharp to edge with 20mm eye relief and it's waterproof. It's a shame Swarovski discontinued it.

Last edited:
Hi Henry,

I was thinking more of something nearer 20x with a wide field. So an e/p around 20-24 mm focal length.

I like the greater depth of field that lower mag gives.

Thanks for your reply.

EDIT- actually I would consider 1.25" zooms of decent quality if they have easier eye placement with eye glasses than the Swaro 25-50x

Last edited:
Hi all,

does any one have any recommendations for astro e/ps on Swaro scopes?

I am thinking of buying one of the Valeasy adaptors to try some fixed mag e/ps.

I have the 25-50x zoom and, although I have largely got used to the finnicky eye placement to avoid kidney bean blackouts, it still bugs me on occasion. I have always preferred a very wide fixed e/p to a zoom so I'd like to try some on the ATM65. I also prefer long eye relief, like around 20mm, for the best viewing comfort.

Thanks for your input.

BS

There is a Swarovski 20x eyepiece but they are hard to find. Or you could look at the Televue site and get a 32 mm eyepiece with good eye relief.
Neil.

There is a Swarovski 20x eyepiece but they are hard to find. Or you could look at the Televue site and get a 32 mm eyepiece with good eye relief.
Neil.

Thanks neil,

I am aware of the 20x Swaro e/p but have read in more than one place that it is not especially good and has inadequate e/r for glasses wearers.

Thanks for the pointer on Televue. I am waiting for an astro adaptor to arrive so I'll keep them in mind.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back