• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

tits and mortar (1 Viewer)

Mark Derren

Restricted Abuser
This morning i had a coal tit doing the rounds on my feeders,but then{every minute or so} would break away and cling to the wall and start chipping at the mortar in the brick work.What was it doing,looking for insects?With so much food in the garden it was'nt going short,and did'nt seem to be getting anything from it.Rather odd sight wondered if anyone had seen this before.

Cheers
Mark

Two reasons, a 50% chance that both apply:

1. Grit to help grind up the food in its gizzard

2. It is a female, and needs extra calcium at this time of year for eggshell manufacture

Michael

Mark Derren said:
This morning i had a coal tit doing the rounds on my feeders,but then{every minute or so} would break away and cling to the wall and start chipping at the mortar in the brick work.What was it doing,looking for insects?With so much food in the garden it was'nt going short,and did'nt seem to be getting anything from it.Rather odd sight wondered if anyone had seen this before.

Cheers
Mark
Just as michael says Mark, he`s right on both counts, you can also help and put out pieces of cuttle fish-& Iodine blocks, both these help the birds cope with a busy breeding season + it helps keep their calcium levels up, hence good plumage, and healthy adults.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back