• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Devon Birding (1 Viewer)

Andrew said:
Nice one James, I have long wanted to pop into The Bridge Inn. Should do something about that soon.

A few of us will be in there on thursday night if any BF Devonians fancy a birding beer?

James

Otter Estuary today: the Cattle Egret still there (with eight Little Egrets), but the bird of the day for me was a Whimbrel, heard "seven-whistling" and seen well in flight, closely followed by 25 Curlews that were clearly larger and longer-billed than the first bird. Totally unexpected and brilliant.

went down to the passage house on the river teign for about 20 mins before work this morning. bloody cold with the wind. i scanned the gulls and found 1 common gull but the rest were black heads, herring and GBB. i noticed something on the river, it was 3 gossander, i later found another by the over bridge. there was also a redshank and 18 mute swan.there was also 2 little grebe on the far side and 1 by the bridge. this is a great site but but over looked by many. i only go there myself cos i can't alway get to the warren.

Black Redstart at Salcombe the only half-noteworthy bird around in Devon according to Birdguides, mind you that plastic duck at Bowling Green was seen again this morning.
I feel another mega is waiting............

It's just below where the Tamar and Tavy meet, on the opposite side of the river to Landulph. My map reading is pretty crap, but around map reference SX445610. Hope it stays for the weekend.

Regards

Ken.

Hmm. It'll need to be a long stayer for me to get to it, mum can't drive to Plymouth, and dad's in Nepal (buisness) until the 16th. Unless of course I could get down on the train......

Hi Firecrest if u can get to Plymouth station u can get on a no 42 bus to Tamerton Foliot and Warliegh point is a short walk along the creek side to the reserve.

Went up to Hartland this afternoon with Ian.B and got in on the tail end of the Leach's movement.

Mark Darlaston had logged about 150 Leach's among other goodies when he was on his way out. He decided to join us for a wee while and bumped it up to 155 to augment what was already a new Devon record. We added three more after he left making it 158. Amazing stuff.

The birds had moved further out to sea but Mark had them right below him in the morning and could even see the black dividing line up the rump at times!

Also logged three Bonxies and two Red-throated Divers.

Goosander and Ruddy Shelduck still on the Taw at Barnstaple.

Attachments

• goosander1.jpg
    goosander1.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 145
  • ruddy.jpg
    ruddy.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 152
Argh! A friend and I were up your neck of the woods today Roy. Coulda done witht he Ruddy Shelduck.

Where were you viewing the bird from and at what time?

Had a first winter female Scaup on the old power station pool at Yelland next to Isley Marsh.

Ringtail Hen Harrier very briefly at Molland Common too.

Andrew said:
Argh! A friend and I were up your neck of the woods today Roy. Coulda done witht he Ruddy Shelduck.

Where were you viewing the bird from and at what time?

Had a first winter female Scaup on the old power station pool at Yelland next to Isley Marsh.

Ringtail Hen Harrier very briefly at Molland Common too.
Andrew, The Ruddy was on the Barnstaple side of the river about 1/2 mile up the Tarka trail from the Civic centre. I will get down to Isley tomorrow to try for the Scaup (if it isnt raining).

Thanks. There is a good bus run from Tiverton to Barnstaple so I shall try a few times until I see it.

The Scaup was on the old power station pit but flew off out to the River Taw. May come back. It associated with a female Tufty.

We were locked in but luckily an amiably decent fella came and let us out. The site is locked most weekends according to him.

Off to twitch that Falcated Duck at BGM tommorow. Will report back Sunday afternoon. Weather's not looking good though. Does it have any preference on whereabouts it hangs out at Bowling Green?

Andrew said:
Just go to the hide and it should be out in front of you. Simple as that.
Does not appear to be as simple. Seems to have gone now.

I digress.

Popped back up north to Barnstaple with Ian.B and connected with the Ruddy Shelduck on the far side of the River Taw opposite Pottington industrial estate.

Looks REALLY wild! ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back