• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swapping eyepieces on Optolyth TBS80 (1 Viewer)

Hi all,
wonder if anyone can help me...
I use an Optolyth TBS 80 (angled body) scope with a 20X WW eyepiece. Today I was lucky enough to receive a new eyepiece (20-60 zoom) as a gift, but unfortunately when I tried to swap the eyepieces over the new one wont fit (even though its a bona fide optolyth). I can see the threads that have to connect but there is a glass panel across the eyepiece aperture (evident when I removed the original eyepiece) which prevents the new eyepiece from being inserted far enough for the threads to engage.
Grateful for any advice.
Season's greetings
wellchoughed

At least at the Optolyth Compact S80 both EPs are fitting. I know people who use a 20-60x EP with their TBS 80. Maybe there are several versions of the scope´s body? How old is your scope?

Maybe I should add that it is not always easy to find the right position for the zoom EP to fit in the EP thread. Perhaps you should try it once again very carefully.

Steve

Last edited:
Just had a brief look at the optolyth website,there doesn't seem to be any information about adaptors for the zoom?

If you wanna take a look you have to type 'optolyth optik' in your google search engine,then next to the optolyth optik website address (it will be written in german?) click [translate this site].

I'd give ace optics a try,they seem to be a major stockist of optolyth kit.

http://www.acecameras.co.uk

Matt

Hi Steve,
thanks for the reply. Seems that there is a problem with the early TBS80s (I think I've had mine for over 15 years!). Think I might have to send it back to Germany for modification. Such a good piece of kit though, I think it will be worth it.
Best wishes
Stuart

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back