• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Flights Pics with 100-400 lens (1 Viewer)

helenol

Following on from Neils thread (if you can't beat 'em, join 'em).

Took the first pics recently of, yes, you guessed it, kites in flight - plus one perched on the now familiar tree (approx. 150ft away)

It suspect it will take me a while to get used to panning with this lens! I also need to work on my exposures etc. Apart from that, I find the lens pretty comfortable to hand hold when snapping away. Yes, it can get a little irksome when standing taking flight shots for ages, but overall it's a great lens, and I'm certainly happy I bought it.

(I couldn't resist taking the one of the aircraft, as a kite flew below, crap pic but it made me smile).

Attachments

• Untitled-51Aug11web.jpg
    Untitled-51Aug11web.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 344
  • Firstflightpics.jpg
    Firstflightpics.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 324
  • flyingwithchick.jpg
    flyingwithchick.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 381
  • kiteaircraft.jpg
    kiteaircraft.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 395
  • perched-16Aug11web.jpg
    perched-16Aug11web.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 373
exellent work helen. these are good but i cant wait to see your shots when you have mastered your new set-up!

i quite like the shot of the kite and plane, just shows you how huge these birds really are...........lol.

"Took the first pics recently of, yes, you guessed it, kites in flight - plus one perched on the now familiar tree (approx. 150ft away)"

I particularly like the 3rd pic, your obviously getting used to the new lense.

On the question of watching kites is there anywhere better than Christmas Common and Stokenchurch for good/reliable views of these fine birds?

thanks

Jim

jiminlondon99 said:
On the question of watching kites is there anywhere better than Christmas Common and Stokenchurch for good/reliable views of these fine birds?

From what I can gather Helen's garden seems to be about the best place...

postcardcv said:
From what I can gather Helen's garden seems to be about the best place...

...yes, I wondered about that, but I see from her location details it covers a large area somewhere between Oxford and Buckinghamshire? Mind, I wouldn't blame her for being vague, it stops strange men with cameras and telescopes turning up!

Thanks Karl.

LOL @ postcard and jim!

Yes, I did warn my other half, when we bought the place, to expect strange fellas popping up with binoculars and things in the woods. Hasn't happened....yet.

I am close to Stokenchurch Jim, and to be honest, postcard is probably right, the garden is the best place, especially to watch them feeding or just perching doing nothing. Very good too for close up views of the buzzards. All the photos I take of the kites and buzzards are taken from the garden.

Anyway, to answer your question, Stokenchurch is one of the best places to see them, there or all the surrounding villages.

If you want/need any info re the kites in this area, send me a PM.

Regards

Well Helen, looks like you can both beat 'em and join 'em!! These are excellent pics indeed, very sharp. The Kites look like they need a visit to a good salon, though....

Flight pics with 100-400 lens

Great subjects and pictures. Do any of you Canon + 100-400 IS users use either of the Canon extenders and if so how do you get on with them?
John

helenol said:
All the photos I take of the kites and buzzards are taken from the garden.

If you want/need any info re the kites in this area, send me a PM.

Regards

Kites and buzzards in your garden......now I am jealous! Thanks for the PM invitation, I will contact you when I get my new 400mm lense at the end of September, unless I can strike a really good deal at the Birdfair on Friday. Having compared the prime and the zoom in Jessops I think I will opt for the prime, it just feels more comfortable to use.

John Gibson2 said:
Great subjects and pictures. Do any of you Canon + 100-400 IS users use either of the Canon extenders and if so how do you get on with them?
John
John,some people do manage excellent shots with the 1x4 extender,but it can only be used with mf.But the general opinion is that the extenders do produce better results with the fixed lenses.but the extenders can be used with the 100-400,and as already mentioned,with a little expertise can produce good images.

red kites from Dumfries & Galloway

As we are on the subject of red kites and 100-400 is lens, i thought i would share these with you. Taken on Friday on The Red Kite Trail up in Dumfries...

kite4.jpg

kite3.jpg

kite2.jpg

Flight Pics with 100-400 lens

Hi Christine,
Thanks for the advice. I think I'll hold off buying an extender for the minute as a result. When you are out in the field with the camera/lens (as opposed to the garden) do you use any kind of harness or bag to ease the burden better? I find that with the bins, the scope and the camera, long days walking can be a bit demanding.
Regards,
John

John, I have just ordered a rucksack, that can carry the 20D with the 100-400 lens attached to the camera. The rucksack also has another compartment that you can use for other non photographic stuff. e.g your bins and butties ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back