• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Acuter scope .... New to birding Help? (1 Viewer)

Cubbsy

Hi everyone, Im new to birding, getting so keen that I am proberbaly going over board with the food in the garden and coming close to wearing out my Camera's.

Can any one help with this?........... I have just ordered a scope (Acuter 16x45x65) to start me off into the world of birding on a more serious Note, it is a relatively cheap scope compared to the Opticrons and the like, but then I have to start somewhere and my question is this .........

Has any one out there used one of these scopes and if so what can i expect

I use a Canon G5 and would like to hear from anyone who has digiscoped with this camera and see some of there photographs.

Pleased to join you all

Cubbsy

Hi Cubbsy, a warm welcome to birdforum.net from all the staff here.
I've never heard of that particular scope, so I'm unable to comment. I wouldn't be too optimistic on it's digiscoping potential with the G5, though there's no harm in trying.
Best regards,
Andy

Thanks Pete ,Andy, i think the Acuter scope will do just to get me started and hopefully keep my interest up with a view to upgrading once i get going.

Hi Cubbsy,

Welcome to BF from me also.

I HAVE heard of Acuter scopes, but I've had no experience using them.

However, as a newcomer, perhaps trying this hobby, I don't think you've made a bad choice.

My first pair of binoculars were a bog standard pair for about 30 quid.

I'm sure there are a thousand and one ways why all the top names might be "better", but for starters... you just go for it.

Like you say, if the bug bites, you can always upgrade.

Enjoy your birding.

:t:

Thansks birdman I'll try to cactch up with u at a later date and let you know how i got on

Cheers
Cubbsy

Ibelieve Acuter scopes come from Synta Technologies, which is steadily becoming one of the biggest optical companies in the world. They make an enormous number of astronomical telescopes under the Skywatcher brand, some of which are also sold for daylight use. I believe the Acuters are their first effort at a spotting scope. The astro scopes are not regarded as top quality, but are getting better all the time.

Cubbsy said:
Thansks birdman I'll try to cactch up with u at a later date and let you know how i got on

Cheers
Cubbsy

Sorry, I should have added that Synta is a Chinese company and everything it sells seems to be a lot cheaper than the US/European/Japanese equivalent.

Cubbsy said:

Cheers
Cubbsy

Hugh Clayton......... Many thanks for that info hugh, I can tell you that I have now both recieved and used My scope by Acuter and must first of all say how pleased I am with it, so pleased in fact that I have since bought an extra 25x fixed eyepiece for the same, Only £21 (It came with a 16x45 zoom), and have started to digiscope with it already.

As a newcomer to Bird watching pherhaps through my Interest in photagraphy/Nature in general, I did in fact suss out what kind and or make of scopes/ equipment most experienced Birders were using i.e Opticron/Kower/Lieca/Nikon/ziess etc through this fantastic forum, which by the way, may I say, I am enjoying very much, and at the same time learning from you guys (do you think I'm getting Hooked?).....Back to My point.........

For someone like me just starting out £139-00 for a spotting scope with a zoom eyepiece and only £21-00 for the 25x fixed seemed to me a safer way to start without putting out to much money.

While I have no experience of looking through one of the Top scopes above, exept for an entry level Opticron, I would like to recomend this Range of scope to anyone like me, who is just starting out, If nothing else, for my £100 quid I am getting to see birds Close up, in detail, in all there colour's and variety's as well as learn something about the world of birds, and at the same time, I have found another use for my camera's, in particular, my little Nikon coolpix.

Hugh, Thank you very much for your time and advice, and to all you other guys and gals on this site, Thank you.

Cubbsy.
P.S.......... I am already looking at and reading about the Opticron Range.

Hi Cubbsy.

since your original post I've seen adverts for Acuter. If it helps you appreciate the little fellas then good for you.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back