• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

55-250 for birding? (1 Viewer)

Techuser

Anyone uses this lens for birding? on a APS-C it would have the reach of 400mm, doesnt look so bad
I was thinking the canon 70-300, but is it worth paying double the price for just 50mm more?

I dont have a DSLR yet but I might get a XSI soon
a friend of mine bought one a few days ago with a 55-250, and comparing to my 730mm equivalent..... I didnt saw the amount of difference I was expecting on the reach:

niscatinha2.jpg

made me re-think on 500mm 2kg lenses (sigma 150-500, wich I was looking before the canon 70-300)

Here in the States, one can purchase a decent lens , get use out of it then sell for little only a slight loss. I don't know the situation in Brazil but the market may require a different strategy.

Sharpness wide open, focus speed and noise are also considerations in addition to reach. Almost anyone with actual birding photography experience will say 250 is too short. 300 is an absolute minimum, and many of the guys who like the ubiquitous 300mm F4 use them with a tele to make them 400-odd millimeters.

Your desired use will also weigh in on the decision. For records, by all means, a 250 is about adequate, but for prints, etc, it will be lacking.

Also know that pro lenses are fast wide-open. With a consumer lens like the 55-250, you will likely have to stop it down to F8 or so to get sharp shots. I haven't seen the MTF charts or reviews on this lens but have heard good comments anyway.

Finally, I'd highly suggest you buy used. There are many "third party" lenses out there which can be great deals. Tokina, Sigma, Tamron, some with IS, most without. I know the routine, trust me. Buy a cheap beater lens for a nominal interest, then it spirals into pro gear. If I was going to do it on a budget, I'd go for sharp pro or semi-pro lens with tripod rather than slow consumer lens with IS. I'd rent a setup for a day if I could to get a feel for what makes sense.

Best of luck.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back