• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon 500d (1 Viewer)

Im thinking of getting a Canon 500d. Anyone got one? Any thoughts? Is it better than the 50d?

Some will prefer the 500D for its video, others will say that's just a gimmick and that the controls on the 50D make it much easier to use in anything but the basic modes. There's also the fact that the 500D is quite a bit cheaper, saving money that can be spent on the important things - like good lenses.

Either will be a good buy. Probably the best thing is to try and visit a shop where they stock both models, so you can see which one feels best.

Apart from the video ability, I think the 500D is approximately the same as the 450D. I have just upgraded from 450D to 50D. My main reasons were:
- 6 pics/sec instead of 3 pics/sec. A large improvement!
- faster processor. With my 450D, I usually get sharp focus on my first picture, but the second, third... in a sequence are a bit soft. I guess it's because the processor is a little too slow.
- better ISO performance, most pics above ISO 800 on my 450D became too noisy.

I've just had the 50D a couple of days, so I don't know how much better it is (yet). But I am satisfied so far.

I say: If you don't need the video, go for the 50D. But a high quality lens is even more important!

/ulf

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back