• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Interesting lens or a duff? (1 Viewer)

Andrew

wibble wibble
Evening all,

Whilst browsing eBay I came across this and thought it rather interesting.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Tele-Lens-500...s_JN?hash=item5ad34b72cb&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Only f/8 and manual focus but possibly a useful addition if you have the right conditions to get nice pictures and cheap for the focal range.

Not actually considering buying it but did wonder enough to ask if anyone has got any experienced opinions on this item? Obviously nowhere near a 400mm f/5.6 but looks to me like an 'uber-digiscoping' contraption?

Cheers,
Andrew.

I used one like that , except it was a 400mm F6.3, and it was a great intro to long lenses. I now have a Canon 100-400mm so beware of the addiction this gateway drug will cause. Optically they can be OK but poor contrast compared to mid-level and better lenses. They are not sharp wide open, and I used my F6.3 at F11 for max sharpness. F8 was usable. They need a lens hood, something not included usually. I used a long-ish metal one. They are manual focus and manual aperture. This takes getting used to. At this focal length, a tripod will be mandatory.

A reasonable alternative for ultra-cheap are the many 500mm F8 (and some 600mm ) mirror lenses out there. Some name brands are still out there for decent deals. They also have significant limitations, such as poor bokeh and lower contrast, but impressive results are possible - and they are very light!

A 70-300mm Tamron or Sigma is still probably the best bet at the lower price points. Shorter, but with autofocus and easier to hand hold.

Edit: looking at a few of those shots, the thing wasn't half bad. I might post one or two if a modicum of interest.

Matt

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back