• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

It pays to keep an eye on the garden (1 Viewer)

I was doing my usual weekend birdwatch yesterday, 2 hours counting all the birds I can see from my garden. Things were a little slow, just the usual Tits and finches, I found myself wishing for a Fieldfare or even a Waxwing. Then a movement in the top of a larch tree caught my eye, a Mistlethrush had just landed. As I raised the binoculars for a look, something landed next to him. A Smaller but chunky Finch with a big conical bill and thick black markings around the bill. A Hawfinch!! He was only there for about 30 seconds and then both birds flew off. If I hadn't been keeping a close eye on what was out there I would have missed him, so keep your eyes peeled, you never know.
Jackie

Hats off Jackie! I'm very keen on my garden watching, and a Hawfinch would make my year.

Jackie big congrats on a garden mega, would be on most peoples wish list B :)

I had a meally Redpoll for 120 consecutive days which was good, even had a few people round to twitch it :t:

I have to admit that this is not the first time one has been seen in the garden. Many years ago I came home from work and my mother said she had had one under the feeders. She based her ID solely on the bill size and colour, I have to say I was a bit sceptical and privately thought I would believe it when I saw it. Then a few years later I noticed a chunky Finch in the neighbours wild cherry trees, but it was just a bit too far away to get a definite ID. A few days later it came in to our hedge and I got a good look at my first Hawfinch. It stayed for two and a half months until February, then disappeared never to return. I know of no populations any closer than about 7 or 8 miles away, would they move that far?
Jackie

I know of no populations any closer than about 7 or 8 miles away, would they move that far?
Jackie

There is possibility it could even been a continental bird, the northern and eastern populations migratory (eg a fairly common bird here in summer, but almost all absent during the winter). So either a wandering UK bird or from much further, but either way, an excellent bird for a garden.

We have even had small flocks (up to 20 birds) passing through Sagres, Portugal in the extreme southwest of Europe. Like Jos suggests for your birds I believe that these are more likely long distance migrants rather than from local breeding populations.

The Larch tree has come up trumps for a second time. I noticed a small flock of large Finches with heavy bills land in the top, raising my bins I could see the colour, which was brick red on the one I was looking at, and that the tip of the bill had a twist to it. Another of the birds was green, a male and female Crossbill. There were 2 others in the tree, but I couldn't see their colours as they were hidden by branches. That's a first for my garden.
Jackie

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back