• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Raptor observations (2 Viewers)

cjay

Whilst birding at Herringfleet Hills near Lowestoft on 7th October 2004. I observed a Hobby, Two Sparrowhawks & two Kestrels feeding on dragonflies along the tree line bordering the grazing marsh The Sparrowhawks tried to drive the Kestrels away but they stayed to enjoy the feast. Whilst observing this group & Peregrine flew amongst them for a few minutes before drifting off towards Haddiscoe.

BWP concise says that the diet of the Sparrowhawk is entirely birds but Dragonflies were defiantly the quarry in this case.

Sparrowhawk & Prey

It is common knowledge that Sparrowhawks take birds & habitually pigeons & doves. Whilst walking along the North Denes at Lowestoft on 7th October 2004 A Sparrowhawk (Female) plucked a Stock Dove from a Pine tree on the cliff, brought it to the ground & began plucking feathers from it’s back. The Dove was clearly still alive & I positioned myself in cover so I could observe at quite close quarters the feeding pattern of this graceful raptor. The predator continued plucking feathers until a dog walker disturbed it & it flew away. On my approach the Dove was still alive & was humanely dispatched by myself & left to the Magpies & Carrion Crows that had gathered to mob the Sparrowhawk in the first instance.

I've seen this too. The first occasion was when I encountered a female sparrowhawk sitting in the back of a feral pigeon in a newly sown field and tearing at the pigeon's back. While this was going on the pigeon was trying to walk to the edge of the field. The hawk flew off when it saw me and I went to the pigeon and finished it off. It's back had been plucked clean and the flesh taken completely away, exposing the spine, ribs and the tendons across the back.

The second occasion was earlier this year, when I came across a sparrowhawk with a fully grown, disabled, but very much alive wood pigeon. The hawk had binded-on to the pigeon and was dragging it across the road, attempting to fly. The pigeon, obviously stunned by the attack was barely able to struggle.

colinj said:
Whilst birding at Herringfleet Hills near Lowestoft on 7th October 2004. I observed a Hobby, Two Sparrowhawks & two Kestrels feeding on dragonflies along the tree line bordering the grazing marsh The Sparrowhawks tried to drive the Kestrels away but they stayed to enjoy the feast. Whilst observing this group & Peregrine flew amongst them for a few minutes before drifting off towards Haddiscoe.

BWP concise says that the diet of the Sparrowhawk is entirely birds but Dragonflies were defiantly the quarry in this case.

Hi Colin,

I've seen Spars take mammals on two occasions - a young rat and a young rabbit. Never seen them take dragonflies - no reason to doubt they wouldn't though - wish I'd seen it! There's a thread on another newsgroup at the moment about Spars taking bats.

colinj said:
Sparrowhawk & Prey

It is common knowledge that Sparrowhawks take birds & habitually pigeons & doves. Whilst walking along the North Denes at Lowestoft on 7th October 2004 A Sparrowhawk (Female) plucked a Stock Dove from a Pine tree on the cliff, brought it to the ground & began plucking feathers from it’s back. The Dove was clearly still alive & I positioned myself in cover so I could observe at quite close quarters the feeding pattern of this graceful raptor. The predator continued plucking feathers until a dog walker disturbed it & it flew away. On my approach the Dove was still alive & was humanely dispatched by myself & left to the Magpies & Carrion Crows that had gathered to mob the Sparrowhawk in the first instance.

I watched one a few years ago that had caught a Collard Dove. The poor dove only died when some vital organ was removed after the bird had broken into the chest cavity at the side of the ribcage - despite the fact that the Spar had been plucking the bird for several minutes. BTW, Spars will often return to their kill if disturbed, or even to feed again the next day if it's something big like a Woodie.

That's two fairly gruesome posts in a day (after the weasel one) - sorry folks!

saluki

In The Handbook 109 stomachs were investigated & found thet 66% was birds,6.5% mammals, insects 20.5% 2% vegaetable matter,16.5% gamebirds poultry & Ducks 16%

It seems sparrowhawks killed by gamekeepers provided this list.

just stumbled on this thread ... Interesting stuff colin, i often go past here but rarely actually stop. Clearly i should do more often

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back