• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird Photography (1 Viewer)

ronzhere

The number one factor in bird photography is patience. What is equally important is your equipment. There is no better camera than an SLR for the task and no better lens than an apochromatic or fine ED. I currently use a 560mm Williams ED APO triplet telescope which behaves like an 840mm lens on a conventional 35mm film camera. This is achieved with the camera mounted in place of an eyepiece and is refered to as prime focus photography. This focal length requires the use of a sturdy tripod unless your shutter speed is above 1/500th of a second. If you have sufficient funds to buy the very best equipment, my choice would be Canon or Nikon fitted with an APO telephoto in the 400mm to 600mm range. You will pay dearly for this setup. I worked my way through various camera/lens combinations before arriving at my current one which, for me, is very satisfactory. The attached Whitewing Dove photo is a typical example of the capabilities of my equipment.

Attachments

• DSC01107A+.jpg
    DSC01107A+.jpg
    191.9 KB · Views: 173
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back