• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Woodie Lives On (1 Viewer)

Jos Stratford

Eastern Exile
Staff member
United Kingdom
In the dawn of my days here in Lithuania, the idea of 'exotic' woodpeckers on the feeders got me going - so up I started, feeding stations first in my garden, then this year in a woodland plot too ...the total of almost 20 feeders scattered between the two certainly drains the wallet - over a kilo of sunflowers per day, much the same with peanuts, plus a half kilo of grain a day ...now, with the snow here, birds are packing in - generally get about 500-600 birds per day!

And the woodpeckers? Year one nought in the garden, year two in came the Great Spots, then joined by a Middle Spots ;) Now both species visit every day, with overflights by Black Woodpeckers too.

In the woodland, totally amazing - Black, Grey, Three-toed, Great, Middle and Lesser Spotted all seen in the last couple of months. the Great and Middle Spots tucking in on the feeders.

A few days back, awful screaming from the back garden - thought kitty had grabbed one of the woodpeckers (that would be a black day), but racing round to the 'rescue', saw the tail end of a Sparrowhawk disappearing off with one of my woodpeckers :C - natural, but wished it wouldn't grab one of my 'specials'!

Today in the garden - still both Great and Middle Spotted Woodpeckers feeding, so the loss of one has changed too much overall.

Photo is of one of the Middle Spots, caught for ringing

Attachments

• woodie-thumb.jpg
    woodie-thumb.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 106
Well Jos, it must be worth the the wallet getting lighter, the birds visiting your garden just get better & better. :t:

A nice selection of woodies you have! I hope (and suspect you do) realise how lucky you are. Then again we all are in each other's eyes!

Jos, I bet you could raise some cash towards the feeding by running birding holidays to your garden!
Mary

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back