• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fieldcraft (1 Viewer)

I came across another thread where an inconsiderate/stupid birderwatcher just goes along a beach flushing a large flock of waders when he could have sat in a hide and had a much more enjoyable experience!!

CB

I came across another thread where an inconsiderate/stupid birderwatcher just goes along a beach flushing a large flock of waders when he could have sat in a hide and had a much more enjoyable experience!!

CB

Its not just inconsiderate but also problematic for waders who need to feed to survive without disturbance.

Dean:t:

Fieldcraft isn't dying out, its the thousands of people coming into this hobby that have no Fieldcraft. A couple of days ago I had been scanning the Gulls on Lawford Heath from the comfort of my pick-up using it as a hide when a bird-spotter pulls up gets out of his car & flushes the whole flock which disappears in the direction of Draycote.

Mike.

Im new to birding, but not to the wilds. I wear drab clothing when birding, stop, watch, move on and am plenty aware of whats about and what would be a seriously bad move to make disturbance wise.

My thoughts on this is the 'disconnect' between a vast majority of people and the wilder areas of the UK and world at large. Bright neon clothing, crisp packet like clothing rustles, mobile phones blaring in a hide (Loch Ruthven not six months ago) and dont even start on the whole shape/shine/shadow routine as it draws a blank expression.

I think hand on heart that if people really had alot of time to learn, they'd make far better birders... oh and the birder that is my absolute, total utter pet hate? the one with the brace of dogs running about whilst they use their spotting scope. (Findhorn Bay, last week)

Last winter I was watching a SNOWY OWL which was sitting on the rocky shore line of a nearby lake. As I watched it through my spotting scope at a hundred yards, I noticed two men with binocular and spotting scope advance towards the bird. As they got closer and closer I wondered when they were going to stop. The first guy did not stop until he was about 20 feet from the bird. The bird of course took to flight and flew out of sight. This really troubled me! A little later I did meet up with the two "gentlemen" and was politely questioning their close movement toward the bird. About the only explanation I was given was that the fellow wanted to get a "flight shot"! Go figure! Some "birders" just don't get it, I guess.

A little later I did meet up with the two "gentlemen" and was politely questioning their close movement toward the bird. About the only explanation I was given was that the fellow wanted to get a "flight shot"! Go figure! Some "birders" just don't get it, I guess.

Speaking as a birder with a camera, I prefer my flight shots not to be back end on, which is the inevitable result of that behaviour. The two should have split up with the photographer hidden beyond the bird waiting for his mate to flush it towards him ;)

John

Fieldcraft was alive and kicking on Scilly this year. On going back to have another look at a Wryneck on the Garrison I went to the usual spot which was a good vantage point looking down on the bird. Cue when I get there Numpty number 1 making his way rather clumsily towards the birds favoured area. I was asking people around as to what did he think he was doing when a phone rings and Numpty number 2 procedes to give him directions to where the bird was last seen. I said several times to Numpty 2 to tell Numpty 1 to stop and go back the way he had came, but alas fell on deaf ears. My parting gesture was to tell Numpty 2 to look up fieldcraft in the dictionary when he got home and to tell Numpty 1 to do the same. As you can see from the photo Numpty 1 was also looking into the sun, the Wryneck favoured an ants nest near the rocks on the path just below him and unsurprisingly did not make an appearance whilst he was there. There was a flurry of excitement when Numpty 2 rang Numpty 1 to tell him it was on the rock in front of him, despite people all around telling him IT'S A ROCK PIPIT.

Regards

John

Attachments

• numpty_2182.jpg
    numpty_2182.jpg
    218.6 KB · Views: 138
Fieldcraft isn't dying out, its the thousands of people coming into this hobby that have no Fieldcraft.

Thats the point. "Generally" the newer birders to our hobby don't not employ fieldcraft when looking for birds.

Having said that I have seen very poor fieldcraft from numerous birders, who are greater experts than me, doing exactly what they shouldn't be doing!!!

CB

So, speaking as someone who is relatively new to birding, what makes for good fieldcraft? Other than than trying not to stress the birds, and trying not to stress other people...

Using the terrain, clothing, weather and wind to mask and conceal your presence as far as is humanly possible in order to be just an observer, and not the observed. That said, there is always going to be an ingress and egress need, so some disturbance.to something or some one will happen. Us a map though and think of the least disturbing route as possible.

and...

from a new (returned to the hobby after several years of work and school) and an old (was introduced to the pursuit as a child by my father) birder, I try to do as much observation from distance as possible. If using my car, I will drive to an edge of an area and then shut down and wait until birds appear.

I do this when on foot. I choose a spot to sit and wait and try to practice the same patience.

My dad insisted that my brother and I learn the posture that the bird shows, prior to their taking off and back off or avoid going one step further. It has been very helpful, even though I may not have gotten the detail I craved. And if I forget and flush them, don't pursue them.

Doing these few things has allowed me to feel that I am not pressuring birds and placing them at risk. This may be wishful thinking on my part.

I get better with practice. But I have been interrupted at times by hunters, kids, and of course new(er) birders. Sometimes, folks just can't figure out why anyone would watch or even want to watch...a bird (really?).

I would love to see a mentoring program of some sort that teaches fieldcraft and also includes an education on ethics and courtesy. And a reminder to the junior science crowd, that folks whom are not interested in gathering and documenting information about a specie beyond just enjoying them are legitimate in their pursuit. Don't discount them. In other words, rude behavior in the name of science is - for the most part - unexcusable.

Using the terrain, clothing, weather and wind to mask and conceal your presence as far as is humanly possible in order to be just an observer, and not the observed. That said, there is always going to be an ingress and egress need, so some disturbance.to something or some one will happen. Us a map though and think of the least disturbing route as possible.

If there's a group of people going past where you want to be, latch onto them and drop off when you want. Most birds can't count (Ravens can count up to four) and will (a) watch the moving party carry on and (b) think everybody kept going.

John

So, speaking as someone who is relatively new to birding, what makes for good fieldcraft? Other than than trying not to stress the birds, and trying not to stress other people...

If you are on your own and see a bird foraging on the ground or perched, and you need to get closer to identify it, it's best not to approach directly, but to zig-zag steadily and smoothly as you close the distance. Don't look directly at the bird as you approach (I would suggest that birds are good at identfying potential predators whose eyes are at the front and not the sides of te head!), and when you use your binoculars, raise them as slowly and smoothly as possible. If there is cover along your zig-zag route, try to use it to obscure part of your body, if possible. Some species will become more alert if you disappear entirely from sight and then re-appear, so there's always an element of chance!

If the bird is in a group or flock that is foraging, they may resume foraging if you stay still and actually approach your location. Patience is the key. If you are birding with others, agreeing beforehand a covert technique is useful. For example, if there is a bird obscured in a bush, one person can circle the bush at a distance, and approach it slowly by zig-zagging from the side or from opposite, so that the bird gradually moves into view. A friend and I did this in Cyprus over a 20-mnute period, enabling us to identify a Red-throated Flycatcher and eliminate the possibility of Taiga Flycatcher (damn!), but without alarming the bird enough to make it fly off. For about 15 of those minutes, we couldn't even see movement after the initial sighting.
MJB
PS Modern digital cameras are so good nowadays that pictures good enough for bird ID can be obtained at distances that are far enough away to avoid spooking the bird.

... Don't look directly at the bird as you approach (I would suggest that birds are good at identfying potential predators whose eyes are at the front and not the sides of te head!), and when you use your binoculars, raise them as slowly and smoothly as possible. ...

Already noticed that they seem to know the difference between someone moving by, and someone watching... Guess its similar to the way we can catch someone's eye across a room - you can 'feel' the look.

They also seem to know when you're just about to press the shutter on a camera (even at a distance!!)

I like the 'drop-off' idea, John...

Already noticed that they seem to know the difference between someone moving by, and someone watching... Guess its similar to the way we can catch someone's eye across a room - you can 'feel' the look.

They also seem to know when you're just about to press the shutter on a camera (even at a distance!!)...

Yes! when ready to shoot, the bird perfectly aligned and in focus, it takes off! I told that to some birders with photo or moviecams and I was not alone to feel unlucky.

I wonder if this may be some kind of optical effect? perhaps the bird can see something when lenses (eyes' or camera's) are perfectly aligned towards it, and focusing? It makes more sense with SLR cameras, but I have seen this happen with no mirror, even when the birds can not see the eye behind the camera... - And if I try to look at the lens, I can't see any difference when the camera is focusing on me!

-------------

Another *fieldcraft* point, is when birding in a place where people commonly walk or bicyle on pathways, local birds seem less scared when you stay on the path than if you walk randomly around?

My dad insisted that my brother and I learn the posture that the bird shows, prior to their taking off and back off or avoid going one step further. It has been very helpful, even though I may not have gotten the detail I craved. And if I forget and flush them, don't pursue them.

I find it very interesting that you specifically learnt the posture of birds just prior to them taking off. I'm sure well all do it a little bit without realising.

CB

I find it very interesting that you specifically learnt the posture of birds just prior to them taking off. I'm sure well all do it a little bit without realising.

CB

I'm not particularly good at it but I do it quite consciously when stalking and taking photos. You have to be aware of your quarry's mental state - its level of stress if you like - to decide on your next move, including whether or not to make one at all.

John

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back