• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What's the rarest/most unusual bird you've seen in the wild? (1 Viewer)

I too am not familiar to neotropics, but i think if you go to a remote enough place you might just find something unknown.

Two of the rarest birds I have seen are Chinese Egret and Nordmann's Greenshank in Krabi Bay, southern Thailand.

The most unusual birds I have seen are Pennant-winged Nightjar in Zimbabwe, Southern Ground Hornbill in Zimbabwe and Boat-billed Heron in Costa Rica.

David

Hmmmm , rarest would be either Pectoral Sandpiper or Savi's Warbler ? Dunno which is rarer ?
Most unusual .... White Pea Hen ... in my GARDEN !!!

But I've had bird's this year which I personaly have been pleased to see - Osprey , Goshawk , Little Stint , Black-necked Grebe and Long-eared Owl - all on my local patch !!! ( oh , and a Pec Sand on my patch , too ).

And my first time sea watching where I got Purple Sandpiper , Manx Shearwater , Arctic Skua & Great Skua all in 2 hours and all 4 were life ticks for me !

Last edited:
I’ve been reading this thread with interest and wondering if I have ever seen a rare bird. Could only think of Short-toed Tree creeper, seen quite often locally.

On my travels I loved Red-Whiskered Bulbul (Mautitius where it is not rare)
Mauritian Fody (not as lucky as Fifebirder who has seen the rare birds out there!)

And while in South Africa, my favourite sight was a family of Swee Waxbills. Now this is so strange………. as I said, I kept looking at this thread and tried to think of unusual birds ….. Swee Waxbills came to mind because I was just captivated by them in South Africa – 3 or 4 babies on a branch side by side and “mum” fussing around them … lovely! Then, would you believe it – I looked in the Gallery this afternoon and there was a Swee!!!! I’ve left a message there.

Sometimes life is spooky.

Nerine

Rarest/Unusual Bird

Well , the rarest and most unusual bird I have seen , for Bucks anyway ,was on the 19 Nov 92 when I had the pleasure of a Leach's Petrel flying just above the lapping waves of a very windy Little Marlow GP . This was the day before a really big blow from the South West . The local Black Headed gulls decidedly didn't like this interloper and chased and harried it all afternoon but it seemed unpeturbed and just kept gliding and flapping over the top of the water which was making fairly big waves for a smallish pit . It came really close to the bank a number of times and the solid white 8 at the base of the tail was readily visible . Also at the same site I have seen Sub Adult Male Red Footed Falcon and Ferruginous Duck

Ashley

jurek said:
I always dreamed of finding a bird totally new to science. I had a vision, that if you get to some more remote islands in Indonesia and bird at night, you could well find a totally new Scops or Ninox owl.

Dead right. I've passed some lovely little forested islands out there some of which might never have been visited by a birdwatcher. If I ever manage to get early retirement before becoming too decrepit I'm going to have a go at some of them.

For now, the rarest I've seen are probably:

Bali Starling (not sure how many left in the wild now, but very few)

Junin Grebe (world population about 300 or so)

For my neck of the woods it would have to be the Lark Sparrow this past winter. Way off course and even made mention in our RBA.

The Eastern Bluebird is the closest one for me. Not really rare, but 'threatened' according to the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Dept. They aren't that unusual though, are they?
marcus

KCFoggin said:
For my neck of the woods it would have to be the Lark Sparrow this past winter. Way off course and even made mention in our RBA.

Actually, Lark Sparrow would rate highly with we Norfolk, UK birders too! The one at Waxham is turning out to be a nice little blocker for those poor souls who took up the hobby in the past few years!

Brilliant birds everyone. Ive never actually twitched a bird as I'm back into birding again, though frequently see unusual birds around that I cant identify!

Marcus, here in Missouri I usually see a few (some times many) Eastern Bluebirds whenever I go out birding, so they are pretty common (at least here in north west Missouri). It is after all, our state bird! They are here year round. Bluebird trails have been established here in Missouri, and all over the United States. Bluebird trails are a series of nest boxes which have been set up in appropiate habitat. I believe these have significantly contributed to the well being of the Eastern Bluebird here in our state (and to the Western and Mountain Bluebirds in the western United States).

I believe these have significantly contributed to the well being of the Eastern Bluebird here in our state (and to the Western and Mountain Bluebirds in the western United States).[/QUOTE]
It's because some folks have set up those nest boxes around here is the reason that I have seen a few in Maryland. When I lived in New York State, I never saw one, even though I was birding there for more than 20 years. And the Eastern Bluebird is the state bird of New York too. I used to wonder what made somebody pick that bird.
marcus

larry said:
I believe these have significantly contributed to the well being of the Eastern Bluebird here in our state (and to the Western and Mountain Bluebirds in the western United States).
marcus said:
It's because some folks have set up those nest boxes around here is the reason that I have seen a few in Maryland. When I lived in New York State, I never saw one, even though I was birding there for more than 20 years. And the Eastern Bluebird is the state bird of New York too. I used to wonder what made somebody pick that bird.
marcus

Hi Marcus,

I have also thought it odd, that some states have a state bird which is only in their state for part of the year! For example, the state bird of Colorado is the Lark Bunting. That bird, while very numerous in the summer months, does not stay for the winter.

Last edited:
Hello again Larry
I was just checking on what you have seen under the 'rare and unusual' list.
Red-necked Stint and Common Redshank. Those are definately more rare and unusual than what I have ever seen. I saw some Wild Turkeys once at a Maryland NWR. Should I have put that? I have seen several Eastern Bluebirds, but those Turkeys, just once.
marcus
marcus

Rarest Bird

Great idea. Makes one revisit one's life list.
I guess my rarest world birds were Wattled Crane and Slaty Egret from the Okavango Delta in Botswana.
My rarest home state (New York) birds have been Northern Hawk-Owl, Dickcissel, and probably Baird's Sandpiper; none are really rare, but not easy to get in New York state. I just got the Baird's this week; a mini-run of them at a local turf nursery, along with tons of Killdeer, Least, Pectorals, and American Golden Plovers.
The coolest? I've seen a lot of gorgeous birds around the world, but the PAINTED BUNTING :eek!: absolutely blows me away. Until I get to Asia or Australia, that one will be tops.
Thanks for bringing the topic up!!
Bill

:h?: OOPS!! I'd be remiss if I didn't mention the Hyacinth Macaw that we saw in the Pantanal, Brazil last year. Stunning bird!!
Bill

Marcus, I believe you should post whatever you consider to be rare/unusual for you! Wild Turkeys are really pretty wide spread, year round all through the eastern states, I believe. But they are wary birds and seeing them for the first time is truly an exhilarating experience. Good Birding!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back