• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zoe (1 Viewer)

Konstantinos

Dear Friends of the Bird Forum:

For the past two months, we have had the privilege of living with a little bittern (Ixobrychus minutus) who was hurt and found in a very poor state outside of Mr. Christofis’ Hotel Irini in Livadia.

A hotel guest found her injured on the patio outside of his room. He took the bird to Mr. Christofis who gave her to Tasos Aliferis, our Island Doctor and Mayor, who promptly brought her to us along with oral rehydration salts and a syringe. When we held her to administer the water infused with salts through a syringe that she desperately needed, we saw her frightened, in a state of shock, exhausted but instinctively trying to survive. She captured our hearts, earned our respect and so she became known as Zoë meaning “Life”. We immediately contacted Mr. Philippos Dragoumis of the Hellenic Wildlife Hospital who suggested that since Zoe was in such poor health she could not survive the long voyage to the island of Aegina where the Hospital is located. Zoe was hungry, dehydrated, exhausted, missing feathers along the top ridge of her entire neck and, most disconcertedly, was unable to use and stand on her left leg. Mr. Dragoumis advised us to feed her fresh, raw fish twice a day along with sufficient water to replicate her natural diet. He also reminded us that Zoë would naturally miss the October migration to Africa due to her anticipated long period of recovery. Making a special place in our home for her has been a real joy. Since she is immobile, we take her out during this beautiful autumn weather for feeding and she is alert to every sound of nature including the nightingales, rednecks, owls, and night herons that recently left Tilos for Africa.

Zoë has been more than a patient to us: she has actually been a teacher. We watch her relentless struggle to find the life she previously knew, her refusal to give up, her creative ways of balancing herself and moving about in her nest by using her left wing in place of her left leg and her courage in accepting us as a potentially threatening species when we handle her and feed her. Her proven adaptability and character during this transitional period following her injury from which Dr. Dragoumis said she might not survive is a good lesson for us all. It serves as an inspiration to us to accept the reality of life’s adversities and work constructively to improve the conditions that confront us. I try to imagine that in a few months she will hopefully be free to join her family of birds as they return to our island to give life to another generation. We will have to wait and see.

Little Bitterns are the smallest members of the Ciconiiformes family which include herons, storks and ibises. They breed in extensive or small reed beds, overgrown reedy ponds and ditches. They are summer visitors to Europe and they winter in Africa. They nest on a platform of reeds often raised above water-level in reedbeds or bushes. They are very reclusive and often retreat from danger by climbing and running instead of flying. They frequent Tilos and can be seen where they used to live by aquatic ecosystems before they were dried out for tourism development or agricultural use.

We would like to thank Nikitas Asimakis (Municipal Water Co. employee) who was the first contributor of fresh fish for Zoë, followed by Michalis Papagregoriou (Waste Disposal Plant employee) and Michalis Kypreos (Eleni Supermarket owner). Pavlos Charalambakis (Municipal bus driver) made a special trip with the Tilos bus to ensure Zoë’s food supply. Their genuine eagerness to provide for this little bittern reflects the growing sensitivity on the island to preserve our Aegean wildlife heritage.

Warmest regards,

Attachments

• Zoe.jpg
    Zoe.jpg
    252.1 KB · Views: 124
  • Zoe Nest.jpg
    Zoe Nest.jpg
    179.7 KB · Views: 126
  • Zoe When She Arrived.jpg
    Zoe When She Arrived.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
Fantastic story and an example to all of us how we should look after the defenceless wildlife that bring us joy in to our lives (for free) every single day.

Although this individual wasn't shot...hunters of OUR wildlife should hang their heads in shame.

John.

Dear Friends:

Thank you so much!

I will keep you updated on Zoe's progress and I am looking forward to posting on this thread the photo of her release next spring.

Warmest regards,

Zoe's Report.

Dear Friends of the Bird Forum:

Greetings from Zoe who is very pleased to report that she has grown bigger and stronger since she came to live with us on September 6th and she eats her fish with mucho gusto these days! About two weeks ago, she began asserting herself more confidently by taking the fish from our fingers (or should I say WITH our fingers!) which is an encouraging change from our having to open her mouth to feed her. Her former reluctance to eat has turned into impatience which I associate with a healthy appetite and approval of our haute cuisine as evidenced by her eagerness to devour our fingers along with the food. She is also drinking water on her own rather than forced through a syringe which was previously necessary and terribly stressful for her to have a “firehose” stuck into her mouth and throat twice a day. Those have been wonderful developments.

The second brilliant advancement is that she has been maneuvering herself and balancing herself on various wooden perches which we have in her “home”. As I am writing this, she is making me dizzy with her “calisthenics” and other exercises using her wooden perches (with a view of our family and nature outside, of course!). I also made ladders out of our lemongrass that we cultivate in our kitchen garden so that she can reach the various “floors” in her home seeing as how we are short of elevators. She couldn’t walk or balance herself when we first got her because she had no use of her left leg at all. Now she is using her left leg much more in concert with her right leg and using her left wing less as a former substitute for her left leg. This may not sound like breaking news to some, but for those of us who have experienced paralysis of limbs, this is an extraordinary improvement for her in a short period of time. I am so very happy for her.

The only discouraging part of her health report is that the very top line of her entire neck is still barren without feathers. The feathers from both sides of her neck fold over the bare spot for protection. We are still hopeful that lots of fresh fish twice a day along with clean sparkling water and family members who talk to her all day and take her outside for “nature walks” (she sees nature, we do the walking for her) will keep up her spirits and encourage healing.

We are about to build outdoor cages in our garden, one exclusively for Zoe and any of her immediate cousins who need help and another large one for other injured birds who are found on the island. When these are finished, we can test Zoe’s physical abilities better. We don’t want to try her outside now because she might get away from us and there are many peregrine falcons and Eleanore falcons which find food in our area, so we are not prepared to take the risk that she would get hurt or, worse yet, “taken”. We will landscape the cage interiors with rosemary, hibiscus, a tiny laurier (bay) tree, marjoram (our sparrows and red necks love our marjoram), thyme and lavender with shade on the outside provided by eucalyptus, plumeria, mimosa and appose trees. The amazing thing is that, except for the eucalyptus, these plants were from seeds or cuttings. It’s a fun project for us. Excavation services will be gratuitously provided by our new little west highland terrier until she learns that this is not a recommended gardening technique. My wife is working on that one and so far the contest is a draw. Each lesson ends in hugs and kisses so the message may take awhile.

Warmest regards,

Αυτό είναι πολύ καλό(that is very good).Hope she can fly off in spring...away from hunters...........

Hi Konstantinos.

Thanks so much for this update. Sounds as though you have your hands full with the addition of your little terrier.

I think when I die, I would like to come back as a little bittern ;)

Dear Ronald and Dimitri:

Thank you for your nice comments!

Dear KCFoggin:

If you come back as a little bittern, you will always have a safe haven on Tilos! Thank you for your warm comments!

Thank you once again!

Warmest regards,

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back