• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Southern Flying Squirrel Feeder Box (1 Viewer)

wroughtiron

Patriotic User
I built this Southern Flying Squirrel feeder box by modifying a Gray Squirrel feeder box. It has a 1.5" access hole on the side for the Southern Flying Squirrels to enter to gain access to the black oil sunflower seeds. It has been very successful and I have seen as many as 6 Southern Flying Squirrels around the feeder late at night. I have screwed the lid down so the Gray Squirrels can not access the seed. The 1.5" access hole on the side is the only way to gain access to the seed. It is also used by a variety of birds during the day, such as Carolina Chicadees and Tufted Titmice.

Attachments

• SouthernFlyingSquirrelFeeder1.jpg
    SouthernFlyingSquirrelFeeder1.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 949
Last edited:
That looks great!! I often wonder if there are flying squirrels here in NJ. I would love to build one of those....

jw

Flying Squirrels in New Jersey

jward said:
That looks great!! I often wonder if there are flying squirrels here in NJ. I would love to build one of those....

jw

You have both the Northern Flying Squirrel and the Southern Flying Squirrel in New Jersey. Here is a link to some pictures taken in Lebanon State Forest, New Jersey.

http://www.mikebaker.com/animals/Glaucomys_volans.html

A feeder like mine located on the side of a tree about 5 feet up with a night light is the best possible setup to actually get to see a flying squirrel. The night light does not bother them, as long as its hooked up on a timer and on all night. If you cut on a light, they will be alarmed and leave, but as long as the light stays on, they become used to it and will come to the feeder box. Its important that you use a box with an entrance hole like the one I have in the pic, otherwise, raccoons and opossums will just raid the box. Even with my setup, the raccoons will still reach in and pull seed out, but thats all they can do, they can't eat all the seeds in one night like they could with an unrestricted box. Also, if you go outside late at night on warm moonlit nights, you can hear flying squirrels. They have a call that similar to a bird chirping. Alot of people actually mistake it for a bird chirping. Another good tool for spotting flying squirrels is a strong flood light to shine up in the trees. You can get lucky and spot them this way sometimes. However, the feeder box is still the best method.

Last edited:
If anyone wants to share any experiences they have had with flying squirrels, please reply to this thread as I would be interested in reading anything anyone has to say about flying squirrels.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back