• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

6 Species at one time!! (1 Viewer)

jward

Today at the feeder, spotted six bird types at the exact same time!!

3 Titmouse
2 Black Capped Chickadee
1 Downy Woodpecker (female)
1 White-breasted nuthatch
4 Mourning doves
2 Junco

==

At other times today, I also noted a cardinal.

-===

Feeder setup:
1 block of suet (spicy to fight squirrels)
1 cylinder shaped feeder with squirrel-proof metal sheath)
mix of black-oil Sunflower seeds and generic multi-bird feed

Just had to share!!!

jw

Congrats! It's always a lot of fun to get a variety of birds in at the same time. It also helps compare their relative sizes and shapes.

It's certainly one of the best times of the year in the northern hemisphere for the number and range of species in the garden. This winter hasn't really hit yet over here but any day now I'm expecting a few more species to arrive in the garden.

that list sounds pretty familiar, just replace the Black-capped with Carolina chickadees.
This season is certainly fun as the yard often is literally crawling with birds.

Congratulations on your impressive list!
I have some of my highest numbers of birds at this time of year. Right now, I'm getting:
20-50 Evening Grosbeaks
30 Pine Grosbeaks
2 Black Capped Chickadees
2 Hairy woodpeckers
1 Downy woodpecker
12 common redpolls
5 Blue Jays
And 1 lonely Grackle!

I figure as winter progresses and gets colder, the numbers will only increase. I'm really hopeful to get at least one red breasted nuthatch! Maybe??

Tammie said:
Congratulations on your impressive list!
I have some of my highest numbers of birds at this time of year. Right now, I'm getting:
20-50 Evening Grosbeaks
30 Pine Grosbeaks
2 Black Capped Chickadees
2 Hairy woodpeckers
1 Downy woodpecker
12 common redpolls
5 Blue Jays
And 1 lonely Grackle!

I figure as winter progresses and gets colder, the numbers will only increase. I'm really hopeful to get at least one red breasted nuthatch! Maybe??

Tammie, I'll trade you a few evening and pine grosbeaks for some red breasted nuthatches!! |=)|

Yes! I think that Pine GBs are some of the most beautiful birds! Yours is a serious list!! How many feeding stations do you have and in what dimensions (ie, within how many feet from one another, etc)?

jward said:
Yes! I think that Pine GBs are some of the most beautiful birds! Yours is a serious list!! How many feeding stations do you have and in what dimensions (ie, within how many feet from one another, etc)?

I have 5 seed feeders, a tray platform feeder and suet feeders all within a 10-15 feet radius. The platform feeder is a little bit behind the others. All the other seed and suet feeders are lined up next to each other. I have one other suet feeder that the downies like hanging on a hook near the French Doors.

Attachments

• Feeding Station,Dec8'04.jpg
    Feeding Station,Dec8'04.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 98
Tammie, love your set up! Ive got the nuthatches, both the red and the white, here all day along with a male and female Downy, abundance of Juncos, goldfinches, redpolls, pine siskins, chickidees, blue jays and one lone mourning dove. Ive got 5 feeding stations set up and also put out a bag of bones hanging from one of the feeders for the bug eaters. They love to pick at the meat and bone marrow...

Last edited:
Isn't it fun, caron??

My most 'colorful' mix at feeders at once included Cardinals, Blue Jays, Goldfinches, and Rose-Breasted Grosbeaks! And to top it off, on that same day, an Indigo Bunting made it's one-and-only-ever stop!

Beverly it is! I cannot beleive how thrilled I get to see them...:) We only moved out here to the country in May and over the summer I was captivated by the hummers. As this is our first winter out here, I am getting the opportunity to see some of these guys for the first time outside of books!

Glad to see everyone having such success!! Tammie, thanks for postion your picture. How do you keep the squirrels out of your feedstation?? Looks like lunch?!?

jw

jward said:
Glad to see everyone having such success!! Tammie, thanks for postion your picture. How do you keep the squirrels out of your feedstation?? Looks like lunch?!?

jw

It's the strangest thing. I had all kinds of problems with squirrels earlier in the year.... we had so many! One day, I got really fed up with them and I greased the poles of the feeders with cooking oil. One squirrel tried to climb (I had the feeders in a different location away from the trees at the time). He got so angry at not being able to climb up that he threw a tantrum and ran away.... never to be seen in the yard again! It was quite hilarious! :) With the heart of winter not being too far off, I expect that to start changing any time now.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back