• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Novice needs a kick start.... (1 Viewer)

blackburnian

Owl Nut
Hi All,

I have been doing digital photography for a couple of yrs and using JASC Paint Pro Shop V7.

I only know how to do the basics (brighten, sharpen ect). I'm trying to get a handle on a few things...

1-I shoot with the 350d and not sure what happens when i crop. I.E., what happens to image size and so on....need to know how to set it to print 8x10 and other sizes and is image quality affected when you crop??.

2-How does one use layers for matting the picture?? Just can't figure this one out??.

3- How do I callibrate my monitor to reflect the actual output of the picture...always likes darker on my monitor than my LCD screen (I am aware of LCD brightness control).

4-Does anyone know of a good site that would explain the basics in photo editing.

I like spending most of my free time birding and taking pictures and prefer to stay away from too much postediting....Am I the only one or those the majority spent countless hours refining pics??

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Here a couple of shots unedited with my 350d-100/400 IS lens....just loving it!!

Attachments

• flyinghoodies.jpg
    flyinghoodies.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 174
  • evening.jpg
    evening.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 195
  • malardspread.jpg
    malardspread.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 202
There are a whole bunch of tutorials on the Paint Shop Pro website (www.corel.com). Click the Community link and go to Paint Shop Pro area. Some tutorials are for later versions (8 and 9), but for most tasks, they still apply to version 7.

As far as matching a monitor with your printer, unless you want to spend money (at least $100 on "Color Management" hardware and software, the only way I know of to do it is by trial and error. Some folks modify their images to get them to print correctly - e.g. if the prints are coming out with too dark, they brighten them till they look too bright on the screen and then hope they print OK. Another way to do this is to tweak the settings in the print driver (e.g. increase the brightness). This is better because you can have your image still look good on the screen.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back