• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sightron "Blue Sky" II 8x32 (1 Viewer)

I ordered the 6.5x32 Fury from Doug at CLNY, and I had planned on buying the 7x36 Diamondback as well to do a 3 way test with the 6.5x32 Meopros I just got. After talking with Doug, I skipped the 7x36 Diamonbacks as he pretty much confirmed what I thought - the Furys are way better for $30 more. I decided not to go thru the aggravation of buying and returning the Diamondbacks, as I will keep one of the 6.5x32's, and I already have the 8x36 legend Ultra as well as 5 other pairs of 8x32's.

The FOV on the Sightron 8x32 is misstated in the advertising lit - they are marked with a 7.5* 394ft FOV according to Franks' post. Also the lit shows an 18 ft close focus which Frank says is actually 7 to 8ft.

The $50 rebate on the Bushnell legend Ultra HD's EXPIRED on 12/31, so unless you have a sales receipt dated 12/31 or prior, you are SOL. The rebate center is very, very meticulous.

Thanks for those leads. The Monarch's gotta go. I never realized I'd have them such a short time.

According to Optics planet the Sightron 8x32 have a 420ft FOV??

and

I just ordered a pair of 7x36 Dimondback's for $99 on sale

and

I just found the Bushnells with rebate for $174. Hard to beat.

One last question

Is it less expensive just being addicted to booze?

lol, I think so!

IMO all 3 of the binos you listed above are BIG improvement over your tunnel-vision monarchs.

That 7x36 Diamondback is very underrated imo. I use mine ( a bushnell equivalent) all the time. It lives on the front seat of my car.

My ultra HD may not have been a terrific sample, so I cant speak to that one.

The sightron... if you can get past the Johnny Rocket appearance, you will SMILE.

Well since the Bushnell rebate seems to have expired I will likely go with those. I want to see what all this gushing is about. I found them for about $200. Anyone find a better deal out there?

Actually I can get them for one more day at 5% off from optics planet. That would be $190. Seems silly to quibble about a few bucks but that money goes into the jar for the next pair. Sad but true.

Last edited:
black crow

Over the last three weeks I had the 7X36 Diamondback and 6.5X32 Fury in my possession. Also had the Kruger Caldera 8X42, but I won't get back into that. Without trying to get into a lot of detail, which it has been pointed out to me I'm not particularly adept at anyway, the Fury is far better than the Diamondback in every way except magnification. I base that opinion on several hours of direct A-B comparison under varying conditions.

Bruce

Last edited:
From what I mostly hear you are likely right. But I'll bet they are still an OK binoc and for $100 they can go into my car where they will get occasional use. Or maybe I'll love em and use them alot as others here do. I'm new to the game and unjaded and ignorantly still somewhat blissful and can be impressed at something many of you put on the chopping block.

Unfortunately that's changing ever since the Gods cursed my fate and brought me here.

I just ordered the Sightron "Blue Sky" SII 8x32 on Amazon and got their last pair in stock. Maybe these will be the winner that will make it to the top of my modest heap.

black crow

Over the last three weeks I had the 7X36 Diamondback and 6.5X32 Fury in my possession. Also the Kruger Caldera 8X42, but I wont get back into that. Without trying to get into a lot of detail, which it has been pointed out to me I'm not particularly adept at anyway, the Fury is far better than the Diamondback in every way except magnification. I base that opinion on several hours of direct A-B comparison under varying conditions.

Bruce

I had the fury 6.5 for some time as well. I';d agree with you mostly, except for a couple things-
1) the fury is large whereas the *DB is much more compact or "squat" if you will.
2) the center diopter thing, but thats just preference. I am still on the fence with that aspect, and its really not a big deal.
3) eye relief. The fury requires some niggling to get that massive FOV just right. Eyecups fully extended worked best but reduced FOV. W/ the Dback, the eyecups are barely out and I get that huge 451ft FOV easily. No other bino I have tried is as non-critical in terms of eyecups and eye placement.

The clear optical superiority of the Fury over the DBack is why I gave the Fury to my dad as a gift.

* I dont actually have the diamondback, I have the bowhunter 7x36, which I think is essentailly the same thing.

Last edited:
I just ordered the Sightron "Blue Sky" SII 8x32 on Amazon and got their last pair in stock. Maybe these will be the winner that will make it to the top of my modest heap.

IMO optically no comparison.

Your questions and path in acquiring/trying binos over the past month or so (?) has mirrored mine over the last 2 years. Its interesting to follow your threads and though process. Keep posting!

It's been fun, educational, and a bit expensive. I now have five pairs of binoculars, three more on the way, one monocular, two spotting scopes, one field microscope and a partridge in a pair tree. All since November. I'm finally starting to get pairs that I'm happy and satisfied with. In the end I want no more than five pair of binoculars. What I really hope to accomplish is a space where I am satisfied while knowing there are better optics out there. I'm reminding myself that the reason I got these is to view the natural world and make my daily outdoor hikes more enjoyable. Not to become addicted to finding the next, greatest, latest binocs however fun. I just can't afford that as I'm retired on a budget. I admit that I can be prone to this addictive behavior and also love it as a way to connect and socialize with all you fine folk. As the Buddha said and to paraphrase "Attachment leads to suffering". So I want to as carefully as possible walk the middle path so I can enjoy this process without freaking out.

So. I'm very happy with three of the binoculars I own right now. I figure the Sightron's are likely going to b e the forth and the fifth is for guests and so that one just needs to be pleasantly OK. I'm also happy with both of my scopes and the monocular is just down right unimportant. I'll give that away. So I'm almost there.

Then I'll just listen interestedly (without addictive lust hopefully) for a couple of years at least to all the interesting things you guys find out. And share the little bit I've learned. Then it's out to forest, mountain and field to actually wear out these optics.

End rant.

black crow

I have no doubt that the Diamondback will serve you well. The image is excellent and the build is very robust. The warranty is also second to none.

I haven't seen the Sightron, but from what Frank says I probably should.

Bruce

From what I mostly hear you are likely right. But I'll bet they are still an OK binoc and for $100 they can go into my car where they will get occasional use. Or maybe I'll love em and use them alot as others here do. I'm new to the game and unjaded and ignorantly still somewhat blissful and can be impressed at something many of you put on the chopping block.

Unfortunately that's changing ever since the Gods cursed my fate and brought me here.

black crow

Over the last three weeks I had the 7X36 Diamondback and 6.5X32 Fury in my possession. Also the Kruger Caldera 8X42, but I wont get back into that. Without trying to get into a lot of detail, which it has been pointed out to me I'm not particularly adept at anyway, the Fury is far better than the Diamondback in every way except magnification. I base that opinion on several hours of direct A-B comparison under varying conditions.

Bruce

that's really what one should expect honestly, considering the D'back is $229msrp and the Fury is $359, and a Fury is a full step up in the Vortex lineup from the D'back. The only reason they are getting compared now is because of the ridiculous blowout pricing on the last 6.5x32 Fury models.

I'm sure for 99 bucks though he can't go wrong and they will be an excellent car bin. And of course that Vortex warranty, plus the user reviews are that the D'back is rugged and build to last anyway.

I finally caved and ordered a pair of Fury 6.5x32 for myself, possibly to end up as the dedicated car bin. I'm crossing my fingers that the 21mm of eye relief won't be a problem for this non-glasses-wearer...

W/ the Dback, the eyecups are barely out and I get that huge 451ft FOV easily.
<snip>

* I dont actually have the diamondback, I have the bowhunter 7x36, which I think is essentailly the same thing.

are you sure it's the same? The 7x36 D'back is only spec'd at a 418ft FOV.

black crow

I have no doubt that the Diamondback will serve you well. The image is excellent and the build is very robust. The warranty is also second to none.

I haven't seen the Sightron, but from what Frank says I probably should.

Bruce

Well that's all I can expect for $99.99. I'm looking forward to having them in hand for a test drive.

21mm, wow. I bet that's why I had a little skitchiness in getting them to feel just right. Eyecups at full mast.

funnily enough, they got delivered this morning so I dashed home at lunch to rip open the box and give them the quick run through.

thankfully, the 21mm of ER is actually fine for me because the Fury's have long eyecups that extend pretty far. I can use them comfortably without blackouts with eyecups at "full mast", which was not true for me with the 6x32 Vipers which have a 19.5mm ER spec. Again, probably because of the longer eyecups.

the Fury's are VERY comfortable, yes they are not as compact as some 8x32's but I actually prefer this as I have trouble with where to put my pinky finger when the barrels are too short. Nice focus knob, nice rubber armor, and those rounded eyecups are very nice.

optically very impressive off the bat. Did a quick A/B with the 8x43 Zen ED3's that are also in my car right now, virtually equal in apparent brightness and sharpness (in other words I immediately like them better than the Theron Wapiti LT 8x42 which weren't that sharp, at least my copy) but to be fair it's broad daylight and 80 degrees in San Diego right now :p. The Fury has an obviously warmer color cast (again the Zen ED3's are SO neutral) but, interestingly enough, the Zen's appear to have a wider TFOV. Obviously they will have a bigger AFOV given similar specs on FOV at the higher mag, but to my eyes the Fury's specs must be a bit generous as the ED3's are wider in true FOV. EDIT: just went on a 10 minute break to the car for a quick re-check, and my initial impression of TFOV was wrong, the Fury specs must be accurate as TFOV is actually SLIGHTLY better than the Zens... but again AFOV is clearly in favor of the Zens.

Anyway, not germane to the Sightron's so I'll cut myself off now :) but the Fury's are a simply ridiculous value at $129 shipped right now.

Last edited:
No actually I am not sure. However I recall someone referencing the excursion bowhunters as "Bushnell diamondbacks" so I made that assumption.

I'd be interested in nkowing more.

The 7x36 you have is the Bushnell Excursion EX, sometimes called the Birding series, or the Chuck Adams Bowhunter, depending on the color: green or Camo. Had a 426 ft FOV. Is now discontinued in the 7x36 model and only carried in 8x36, and the Bowhunter has morphed into a 10x42.

The Vortex Diamondback is the 7x36 we have been discussing for $99 at CLNY.

eitanaltman

I'm glad to hear that someone else sees not just an ok for the money view, but a superb view through the Fury's.

Bruce

funnily enough, they got delivered this morning so I dashed home at lunch to rip open the box and give them the quick run through.

thankfully, the 21mm of ER is actually fine for me because the Fury's have long eyecups that extend pretty far. I can use them comfortably without blackouts with eyecups at "full mast", which was not true for me with the 6x32 Vipers which have a 19.5mm ER spec. Again, probably because of the longer eyecups.

the Fury's are VERY comfortable, yes they are not as compact as some 8x32's but I actually prefer this as I have trouble with where to put my pinky finger when the barrels are too short. Nice focus knob, nice rubber armor, and those rounded eyecups are very nice.

optically very impressive off the bat. Did a quick A/B with the 8x43 Zen ED3's that are also in my car right now, virtually equal in apparent brightness and sharpness (in other words I immediately like them better than the Theron Wapiti LT 8x42 which weren't that sharp, at least my copy) but to be fair it's broad daylight and 80 degrees in San Diego right now :p. The Fury has an obviously warmer color cast (again the Zen ED3's are SO neutral) but, interestingly enough, the Zen's appear to have a wider TFOV. Obviously they will have a bigger AFOV given similar specs on FOV at the higher mag, but to my eyes the Fury's specs must be a bit generous as the ED3's are wider in true FOV.

Anyway, not germane to the Sightron's so I'll cut myself off now :) but the Fury's are a simply ridiculous value at $129 shipped right now.

I will say though that, even with a few minutes of quick testing, the Zens are clearly better optically. But the thing is it's not a "night and day" difference, rather it's an accumulation of little things that the nitpicky user who reads too much birdforum can notice:

- the Zen ED3s are superbly neutral with what must be perfect light transmission, whereas the Fury's have a definite warm / yellowish bias.... I would bet the Zens are a bit brighter too especially in lower light conditions
- the Zens do not sacrifice any FOV while having greater magnification
- the Zens are significantly better in controlling CA (color fringing) especially off axis
- haven't had time do much comparison of more subtle things like size of sweet spot, more rigorous on-axis sharpness testing, etc. but the Fury's do have more pincushion distortion

Now, all that being said, the "typical" user would think both were great and it's not like he would look through the Fury's and go "nice!" and then grab the Zens and go "WOWWW!" Build quality is virtually identical, and the optics are MUCH closer than the current differential in street price ($129 vs. $416) and there are a lot of $300-400 bins that are clearly inferior to the Fury. And, for the "budget birder" who needs the best glass for the money and even $400 is too steep, the Fury's are pretty hard to beat right now (especially considering the warranty!). And, if you can afford bit more, the $275 Viper 6x32's are even better and more compact....

Soon I should try them Sightron's too! :D

Yes, they are the Bushnell excusrions ex 7x36 "chuck adams" series. My assumption was they are only cosmetically different from the diamondback 7x36.

optically very impressive off the bat. Did a quick A/B with the 8x43 Zen ED3's that are also in my car right now, virtually equal in apparent brightness and sharpness (in other words I immediately like them better than the Theron Wapiti LT 8x42 which weren't that sharp, at least my copy) but to be fair it's broad daylight and 80 degrees in San Diego right now :p. The Fury has an obviously warmer color cast (again the Zen ED3's are SO neutral) but, interestingly enough, the Zen's appear to have a wider TFOV. Obviously they will have a bigger AFOV given similar specs on FOV at the higher mag, but to my eyes the Fury's specs must be a bit generous as the ED3's are wider in true FOV. EDIT: just went on a 10 minute break to the car for a quick re-check, and my initial impression of TFOV was wrong, the Fury specs must be accurate as TFOV is actually SLIGHTLY better than the Zens... but again AFOV is clearly in favor of the Zens.

So my understanding and correct me if I'm wrong but the reason those are so inexpensive is a diopter flaw. Do you have any concerns over that?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back