• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mobile Bird Hides. (1 Viewer)

canonman77

United Kingdom
Hi, I have searched the Forum for the best place to post this, so If Its In the wrong place. Sorry.

I am In need of a mobile bird hide, I have been checking out the pop-up hides. I will only need a 1 man but with enough room for me to sit, stand & possibly put up a tripod. I am 6'3". but will mostly be sat. I have been going to a place where I live called GREASBROUGH DAMS (Fishing lakes) In South Yorkshire & have come across a pair of Kingfishers which after doing a bit recon on them I have got to know their routes & where they tend to sit & fish, what I want Is to put up a hide near to where they fish where I can get static shots as well as flight shots. But, theres always a but, I wont be able to leave the hide, so a pop-up hide appeals to me. Does anyone have any suggestions on the hides & the prices. I could spend approx £60-£70.

Regards.
Sean.

Hi, I have searched the Forum for the best place to post this, so If Its In the wrong place. Sorry.

I am In need of a mobile bird hide, I have been checking out the pop-up hides. I will only need a 1 man but with enough room for me to sit, stand & possibly put up a tripod. I am 6'3". but will mostly be sat. I have been going to a place where I live called GREASBROUGH DAMS (Fishing lakes) In South Yorkshire & have come across a pair of Kingfishers which after doing a bit recon on them I have got to know their routes & where they tend to sit & fish, what I want Is to put up a hide near to where they fish where I can get static shots as well as flight shots. But, theres always a but, I wont be able to leave the hide, so a pop-up hide appeals to me. Does anyone have any suggestions on the hides & the prices. I could spend approx £60-£70.

Regards.
Sean.
Hi Sean,
Check out Ultimate Addons (Stevie is on the forum somewhere) I have one of there's and its ideal (I am 6'4") plenty of room and folds up very neatly, i don't think you will find one to actually stand up in but the one i have has room to move about, lots of windows etc. How's the Kaiser going? have you mastered it yet? I took mine out the other day and got one or two odd looks from a passing patrol car LoL
Have fun
Brian

I have used advantage camou bag hides from Wildlife Watching Supplies for the past few years. Mostly carry the lightweight summer one as you can see through it but the birds can't see you, but the winter weight one is waterproof. Combined with a Walkstool(folds flat and is light n comfy), it's very fast to set up and put away, just chuck it over your head and sit down. Can use it as a poncho when stalking and creep up on your quarry. It fastens to the the side of my camera rucksack and covers my 6'2" and 600mm lens.
Downside is that its attractive to dogs. Been peed on three times this year so far. Gonna get myself a blow-up lamp post off e-bay to put up by the side to give the dogs a better target as the hide is beggining to niff a bit!!

http://www.wildlifewatchingsupplies.co.uk/baghide.htm

Looked at the new pop-up hides at the birdfair. Those based around fold-out seats no good as you have to sit back in the chair. When you are photographing using a tripod you need to lean forward to look in the viewfinder and its a bit awkward to say the least but the contortionists or masochists amongst us may find it appealing. Try before you buy. Have fun.

hi guys, thanks for the links, The problem is, is trying them out first which if i buy online then theres having to send back if its no good, i shall probably end up getting a bag hide, but the one from pennineonline looks good, how easy it to put away. Is it one of those where you have to twist it as you fold & how big is it when totally folded away, the hide from Ultimate addons (WILDERNESS CAMO POP-UP HUNTING HIDE) looks good but sold out & is only £40 but looks pretty big. Hi claymore, the Kaiser Is goooood, but the ball socket tends to be a bit loose with my 40D & 100-400mm, apart from that It keeps it steady...

hi guys, thanks for the links, The problem is, is trying them out first which if i buy online then theres having to send back if its no good, i shall probably end up getting a bag hide, but the one from pennineonline looks good, how easy it to put away. Is it one of those where you have to twist it as you fold & how big is it when totally folded away, the hide from Ultimate addons (WILDERNESS CAMO POP-UP HUNTING HIDE) looks good but sold out & is only £40 but looks pretty big. Hi claymore, the Kaiser Is goooood, but the ball socket tends to be a bit loose with my 40D & 100-400mm, apart from that It keeps it steady...
Hi Sean,
Glad you like the Kaiser, have you tightened the ball socket lever up tight enough? just a thought as usually they stay tight (let me know how you get on)
I considered a bag hide but i had visions of me getting inside and the draw string getting knotted ie Like the magician on Britain's Got Talent! LoL (a few years ago i was fitting a new tap into a very large plastic water butt and somehow i slipped and fell inside, luckily it was empty but unfortunatly the local farmer was driving past and spotted me doing my best Frank Spencer act and i was the shame of the village ie Village Idiot)
Whatever hide you get, invest in a full face veil/hood as its amazing how animals/people can spot a pale face peeping out the bushes LoL
Cheerio
Brian (Frank)

which one have you got?, Is it the one man camo chair hide or the wilderness camo hide, would this be ok (single person chair hide-its from pennine photography, www.pennineonline.com. It folds up into a tidy backpack & its easy to put away, also has 4 pegs for the corners in windy conditions. Where i am though Its pretty well covered from the elements by trees, Its a cracking spot for Kingfishers. The kaiser Is tightened up as far as I can go, i dont want to over do It & stap it...Its ok though

which one have you got?, Is it the one man camo chair hide or the wilderness camo hide, would this be ok (single person chair hide-its from pennine photography, www.pennineonline.com. It folds up into a tidy backpack & its easy to put away, also has 4 pegs for the corners in windy conditions. Where i am though Its pretty well covered from the elements by trees, Its a cracking spot for Kingfishers. The kaiser Is tightened up as far as I can go, i dont want to over do It & stap it...Its ok though
Hi Sean,
I have the Wilderness Camouflage Pop Up Hunting Hide its ideal and unbeatable value for money, we went to Wigtown Hide today and there was a Kingfisher spotted last week but as usual we were too late grrrrrrrrrrrrr.
I like the look of the one man hides with built in seat, might get one for going over the fields. We have around 7 acres of woodland and i am thinking of getting a seat fitted in one of the trees (saw a great one in a hunting catalogue recently) as its got loads of badgers/deer etc.I am thinking of getting a badge made for my camo gear that says "I only shoot with a camera" as when i go into local village they asume i am a hunter (we get lots of weekend warriors up here) I have even had animal rights people call me names (i am a member of AR, ALF) which is quite funny really LoL
Ah well keep us informed which hide you go for
Cheers
Brian
Ps both the Wing/Norton have gone now so soon be shopping 9-)

hi Claymore, I have just got a one man from www.petermcmurdie.co.uk, It looks good & all folds away to about 27" diameter with rucksack straps, but theres no seat In It. That dont bother me though, I have one of those type of shooting sticks a fold away one, cant wait to try it out though. It looks like a mini tee-pee only in camo.

Enjoy youre spending, have you decided on what your going to get then.

Sean.

Does anyone have any suggestions on the hides & the prices. I could spend approx £60-£70.

Sean save up and buy a Kevin Keatley Standard Dome Hide. It is three times your budget but it is unbeatable and will last forever ( probably).

I have got all my best DSLR pics using the Keatly hide. The bag hide is also good for short term sessions but those all day crossbill sessions are out of the question.

I bought one of these £60 pop up seat hides and it knackered itself the second time I set it up.

See my blog for a decent pic of a Scotbill in July in pretty awful conditions with modest equipment using the Standard Dome Hide.

Lindsay

Last edited:
hi griffin, Ive already bought one from www.petermcmurdie.co.uk Its a pop-up hide, but I would rather not spend a lot to see If I am cut out for sitting In a hide instead of walking about with my camera, If Its my cup of tea sitting in hides then I willprobably invest In a more expensive & bigger hide. They do look the business though from K.K

Thanks.
Sean.

After reading all the replies on this thread, my question is......

Where are you using your hides??

I have a small pop-up hide I grabbed off ebay a while back. But I can never really find any good places to use it. The nature reserves don't really like you putting them up.

hi scubapauly, I have too bought a pop-up hide from www.petemcmurdie.co.uk & although It looks good, Its not me because I like to move around a lot & cant be putting the hide & taking It down all the time, so I will be going for a throw hide, I think thats what there called, something that I can just sit down with my back against a tree or something & throw It over myself. I go to a group of fishing lakes, which have bits of woodland as well, Its a really good place. Do you know who sells throw hides??

Regards.
Sean.

So what tips do people have in erecting one of these hides for best results. I would imagine a good situation would be with a bush or other vegitation directly behind it?. Do these hides come with Camo netting attached?

What about in exposed situations where this is little cover?. Wouldent it be a little obvious?

This is something im seriously thinking of acquiring, not only for Birds but for other wildlife aswell.

hi scubapauly, I have too bought a pop-up hide from www.petemcmurdie.co.uk & although It looks good, Its not me because I like to move around a lot & cant be putting the hide & taking It down all the time, so I will be going for a throw hide, I think thats what there called, something that I can just sit down with my back against a tree or something & throw It over myself. I go to a group of fishing lakes, which have bits of woodland as well, Its a really good place. Do you know who sells throw hides??

Regards.
Sean.

Did you send your hide back?

Hi Canonman
You could try an Advantage timber camo bag hide from Wilderness Watching Supplies in combination with a Walkstool.
http://www.wildlifewatchingsupplies.co.uk/
I've been using this combo for a number of years and it does the business. I am also 6'3" and the bag or throw hide goes over me and a 600mm f4. It can be worn as a poncho or as a throw over the lens cover but it works well. Velcroed slit for the lens and a face opening with mesh as well.Camo clothing with birds is a waste of time but the bag hide disrupts the human outline and the birds ignore you. I have other hides but none is a portable and as instant. The hide and walkstool fit on the side of my
Lowepro Lens Trekker rucksack. One tip is to wear a peaked cap inside to stop the annoyance of the material touching your face.

HI Marcus, yes I sent It back for a purchase price refund, no probs & then bought a DPM camo bag hide instead from WILDLIFE WATCHING SUPPLIES which suits my needs better & can be rolled up & put in my pocket, although when Its on It looks like one of thos thingies Indian women wear with the face mesh. Hi Den, the baghide Is superb & as you say wear a peaked cap. I can just get sat down anywhere & throw the hide over myself. I cant speak highly of the baghides....

I have just received the 'outhouse' pop up hide from www.opticswarehouse.co.uk in the UK; I was impressed by their customer service and prices/quality. I received the package 5 working days after the order in Spain delivered by FEDEX. I had a small problem which was resolved immediately by their customer service dept. very happy so far. now to get out and use it.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back