• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sharpie Pen Strikes Again! (1 Viewer)

One thing about this marker-pen malarky; it is a good medium through which I can re-visit experiences which either happened when a sketchbook wasn't available, or just too quickly for anything discernable. A couple of winters ago I was exploring the storm beaches of South Ronaldsay when I happened upon this old lad - he'd been through the wars with the young guns lying just off-shore and was all but done I got really close to him before he noticed me and then he faced a horrible dilemma; flee the scene to safety - which also meant heading back into the mix with the scrappers in the foam. It's a scene as fresh today as when I first saw it, but one I know I'd never commit to canvas. Marker pen on board suits it fine, I think.

ps - thanks very much Roger - glad you like.

Attachments

• seal.jpg
    seal.jpg
    263.1 KB · Views: 234
Last edited:
As I'm in the doldrums and staring the prospect of unemployment right in the face for the first time in 20 years (thanks coalition xxxxx) these have brightened me up no end.
What am I doing pratting about trying to nail detail for when these simpler forms just ooze life and character. So good are these that they look like the late Dr., messrs Bennet, Woodhead and Mccallum, plus your good self have got together for a month's drawing and painting in the wild Isles. All that colour and life is just sensational.

Tropical fish will not offer as effective a therapy.

Russ

Very nice, Tim - an effective vignette of nature: uncompromising and unforgiving of old age and weakness.

these simpler forms just ooze life and character. So good are these that they look like the late Dr., messrs Bennet, Woodhead and Mccallum, plus your good self have got together for a month's drawing and painting in the wild Isles.
Russ

Oozing with life and character is right!

an inspiration - I think I'm going to put aside my illustration work for a while and get back to scribbling with 'what it should be about'.

This piece is derived from sketches posted last winter on another thread. It formed the perfect antidote to a laborious piece of archaeological illustration I'm plodding through. It looks like being the last for a while however - darling wife his threatened to dislocate various parts of my anatomy if I do any more like this. She's not a fan, ya'see :-O
She has a point - they are becoming a tad self-indulgent . . .

Attachments

• pintails.jpg
    pintails.jpg
    271.9 KB · Views: 181
How Are You Managing???

Just wondered how on earth you were all getting on at the Cheltenham Festival without the legendary tipster service offered 'From The Studio'.
I'll try and get one for tomorrow and sneak it onto this thread - ker-ching!
;)

I was taking a few of the week's sketches with a view to making a largish watercolour - the composition needed addressing somewhat and the marker pen was an obvious choice. One the drawing was made, it seemed only natural to add a bit of colour. Interesting to see if this now translates into the softer approach of watercolour . . .

Attachments

• oiks.jpg
    oiks.jpg
    355.8 KB · Views: 151
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back