• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Durham ,Butterflies, Moths and Dragonflies. (2 Viewers)

rokermartin

I thought i would start off this thread because there's a few birders at this time of year go out looking for butterflies etc.I have been interested in Butterflies ,Moths and Dragonflies since i was a little lad.I use to breed a few species of moths and butterflies also the big tropical silkmoths.Today i had a excellent day for seeing Butteflies and Dragonflies.I went to Bishop Middleham Quarry and saw 10 species of butterfly
Common Blue 30+
Small Heath 22
Large Skipper 12
Dingy Skipper 9
Meadow Brown 4
Wall Brown 1
Northern Brown Argus 14
Green veined White a few
Large White a few
Small Skipper 2
On the way back home i called into Testo's pool West Boldon and it was alive with Dragonflies the best i have seen it i saw
3 Emperors
10+ Four -spotted Chasers
but best of all i saw 4-5 Black -tailed Skimmers i had excellent views of a pair mating.There were loads of Blue Damselfies flying around.

If anyone finds new locations for the Dingy Skipper in South Tyneside, please let Matt Hawking in the Countryside Section at the Council know.

This morning i went Kibblesworth brickworks pool it's one of the best sites for seeing dragonflies on our area.When i arrived i was amazed to see how many Four -spotted Chasers there were flying about must have been 100+ also 3 male Emperor Dragonflies patrolling over the pond 2 of them kept having a battle.Around the muddy edges of the pond there were at least 6 Black -tailed Skimmers but some of them were getting chased away by FS Chasers also saw my first Common Darters of the year.It was quite a good mornng for seeing butterflies plenty of Small Heaths,Common Blues,small number of Meadow Browns,single Speckled Wood and loads of 5 and 6 spot Burnet Moths first ones i have seen this year.

Last edited:
Canny idea Martin, but some of us have a bit of a "mixed bag" sort of day...especially this time of year when the birdings not too hot.

Canny idea Martin, but some of us have a bit of a "mixed bag" sort of day...especially this time of year when the birdings not too hot.
Hi Steve i am amazed how many birders are interested in butterflies,moths and dragonflies.I met a birder at Kibblesworth today i have seen him know and again on my travels.Just found out today hes interested in butterflies and Dragonflies.Good thing about this time of year when it goes quiet for birds you have the butterflies,moths,and dragonflies to look at.

Excellent new thread Martin as much as I love Birds,I also love insects and have had Stick Insects for years.I'm just back from Corfu and the wildlife there is tremendous,Birds,Snakes ,Terrapins,Insects and a very loud chorus from Frogs after dark in a stream near our appartments but I really got excited when out strolling on the nightime I saw my first Firefly,It was an amazing sight,like a little white fairylight switching on and off,neadless to say it made my night,I was talking to a holidaymaker who said he stayed in another hotel not far away and he saw a field full of them!
On another matter I have had a couple of Speckled woods in my garden of late,I seem to see more and more each year in different locations,has anyone else noticed this?............Laurence :)

Excellent new thread Martin as much as I love Birds,I also love insects and have had Stick Insects for years.I'm just back from Corfu and the wildlife there is tremendous,Birds,Snakes ,Terrapins,Insects and a very loud chorus from Frogs after dark in a stream near our appartments but I really got excited when out strolling on the nightime I saw my first Firefly,It was an amazing sight,like a little white fairylight switching on and off,neadless to say it made my night,I was talking to a holidaymaker who said he stayed in another hotel not far away and he saw a field full of them!
On another matter I have had a couple of Speckled woods in my garden of late,I seem to see more and more each year in different locations,has anyone else noticed this?............Laurence :)
Hi Laurence i also used to keep Stick insects.Sounds if you had a good holiday for seeing wildlife.Talking about Speckled Woods they used to be a rare sight in Northern England but just recently they have spread into Northern England they are slowly expanding there range northwards.Last year i saw my first Speckled Woods in the garden also i have seen at least 2 this year.Another butterfly which is getting more common in our area is Ringlet another one expanding it's range northwards.

Last edited:

I was saying axactly that to Martin yesterday, i had one in the garden yesterday and they do seem to be quite common now but i've only noticed that in the last year or so.

Went to a place this afternoon that i haven't been to in years Fulwell Quarry which is now a nature reserve it's looked after by the Sunderland council.I used to go there alot looking for butterflies when i was young lad.The quarry hasn't really changed much but the surrounding area has.There 's a golf course and big areas of rough grassland with loads of wildflowers ideal for butterflies.I saw a few butterflies while i was walking around Common Blues,Small Heaths,Meadow Browns,Large Skippers also a Silver Y moth and a Lattice Heath.

Last edited:
Great idea Martin :t:

Cowpen Bewley Woodland Park on Tuesday

Ringlets - lots of them around all of a sudden.
Small Heath
Meadow Brown
Orange Tip - still a few around
Common Blue
Small Skipper
Speckled Wood - lots around
Small Tortoiseshell
Peacock
Red Admiral
Wall
Large White
Green-veined White

Dragonflies -

Emperor x4
Broad-bodied Chaser x1
Four-spot Chaser 12+

Damselflies-

Azure
Common Blue
Emerald
Blue
Large Red
Blue-tailed

Bowesfield Marsh -

Banded Demoiselles - still a few around
Black-tailed Skimmer c.12
Four-spot Chaser 12+
Broad-bodied Chaser 1

Great idea Martin :t:

Cowpen Bewley Woodland Park on Tuesday

Ringlets - lots of them around all of a sudden.
Small Heath
Meadow Brown
Orange Tip - still a few around
Common Blue
Small Skipper
Speckled Wood - lots around
Small Tortoiseshell
Peacock
Red Admiral
Wall
Large White
Green-veined White

Dragonflies -

Emperor x4
Broad-bodied Chaser x1
Four-spot Chaser 12+

Damselflies-

Azure
Common Blue
Emerald
Blue
Large Red
Blue-tailed

Bowesfield Marsh -

Banded Demoiselles - still a few around
Black-tailed Skimmer c.12
Four-spot Chaser 12+
Broad-bodied Chaser 1
Hi Ian i thought i would start a thread off for butterflies etc.There seems to be few birdwatchers who are interested in butterflies and dragonflies especially during the summer months when it's fairly quiet for birds.I haven't seen any Ringlets up my way yet they should be starting to come out anytime now.There seems to be a good number of Black-tailed Skimmers around at the moment and loads of FS Chasers also a few Emperors.I haven't seen any Hawkers yet.

Last edited:
Northern Brown Argus

Hi, I'm aiming to visit Bishop Middleham at the weekend for NBA. Can anyone provide site directions re where they are likely to be?

I haven't worked the site before - made a smash and grab raid for the Bee-eaters, but wouldn't know how to work it.

Thanks.

Outside your region but thought I'd pass on news - plenty of Small Pearl-bordered Frit at Fen Bog, plus a few Large Heath yesterday, as well as several Large Skipper, Small Heaths, 1 Common Blue, 1 Small Copper, a few Green-veined White, 1 Small Tortoishell.

Hi, I'm aiming to visit Bishop Middleham at the weekend for NBA. Can anyone provide site directions re where they are likely to be?

I haven't worked the site before - made a smash and grab raid for the Bee-eaters, but wouldn't know how to work it.

Thanks.

Outside your region but thought I'd pass on news - plenty of Small Pearl-bordered Frit at Fen Bog, plus a few Large Heath yesterday, as well as several Large Skipper, Small Heaths, 1 Common Blue, 1 Small Copper, a few Green-veined White, 1 Small Tortoishell.
Hi there the Northern Brown Argus you can see them at the same place where the Bee -eaters were nesting in the old quarry.They can be seen anywhere in the quarry especially in the bottom area of the quarry.There are some steps leading into the bottom area.You can see a list of butterflies that i saw a few days ago at Bishop Middleham at the start of the thread .

Last edited:
Went to Tilesheds,Boldon this afternoon looking for butterflies the weather was warm but mostly cloudy with a few sunny spells despite this i saw quite a good selection of butterflies including my first Ringlets of the year.
Small Skipper 2
Large Skipper 5
Common Blue 4
Large White 1
Speckled Wood 2
Meadow Brown 16
Ringlet 4
Meadow Browns have certainly increased in number in the last couple of days or so.Also saw 2 Silver Y moths there seems to have been a small influx of those recently.

I have seen tham at Thristlington Nature Reserve.

seen Glow worm at Hawthorn & a couple of spots around Hamsterley forest

---------------------------------------------------------------------

spent a morning trying to find b'flys etc for step daughter to photograph
a bit breezy & we had trouble finding owt that would keep still !

we thought morning was best before they became active
very frustrating almost all of them landing with wings closed

we left Bish Midd to have a bite to eat sitting in the sun at Hardwick
this presented us with our best photo opportunity, as you can see in the picture.

We saw Black tailed Skimmer, Broad bodied Chaser & Emperors in the "dam" area - it seems to be a good location for "Hobby-food" - a interpretive display board below the lake out-fall details 10 species to be found.

http://s-evans.blogspot.com/

Attachments

• Steves-iPhone-23_June_dfly.gif
    Steves-iPhone-23_June_dfly.gif
    207.2 KB · Views: 308
Last edited:
seen Glow worm at Hawthorn & a couple of spots around Hamsterley forest

---------------------------------------------------------------------

spent a morning trying to find b'flys etc for step daughter to photograph
a bit breezy & we had trouble finding owt that would keep still !

we thought morning was best before they became active
very frustrating almost all of them landing with wings closed

we left Bish Midd to have a bite to eat sitting in the sun at Hardwick
this presented us with our best photo opportunity, as you can see in the picture.

We saw Black tailed Skimmer, Broad bodied Chaser & Emperors in the "dam" area - it seems to be a good location for "Hobby-food" - a interpretive display board below the lake out-fall details 10 species to be found.

http://s-evans.blogspot.com/
Steve i didn't know Damselflies liked buns.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back