• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pentax Papilio comparisons (1 Viewer)

AnotherNightOwl

Registered Guest
Has any one used or got both the 6.5x21 and 8.5x21 Papilio? And if so what are your thoughts and preferences?

Which one would you keep out of the two?

What are the best things about them for you? and is there anything that you dislike about them?

Last edited:
AnotherNightOwl said:
Has any one used or got both the 6.5x21 and 8.5x21 Papilio? And if so what are your thought and preferences?

Wich one would you keep out of the two?

What are the best things about them for you? and is their anything that you dislike about them?

Which one would I keep?
None.
I had a 6,5 but only briefly. I sent it back because it was misaligned from the beginning (something I had never before seen in a Pentax), and it oozed a terrible solvent smell reminiscent of petrol. Unbearable close to the face.

I returned it to the dealer, severely disappointed. After that "encounter" I did not try again.
I have a PCF WP II which is fab. Perfect optics, no smell whatsoever.
Which one is the odd one I cannot tell.

Tom

AnotherNightOwl said:
Has any one used or got both the 6.5x21 and 8.5x21 Papilio? And if so what are your thought and preferences?

Wich one would you keep out of the two?

What are the best things about them for you? and is there anything that you dislike about them?

One advantage of the smaller magnification is a brighter view. Also the image is very steady, and the smaller magnification makes it seem VERY sharp. I like them very much. Nothing that I would say I dislike.

ThoLa said:
Which one would I keep?
None.
I had a 6,5 but only briefly. I sent it back because it was misaligned from the beginning (something I had never before seen in a Pentax), and it oozed a terrible solvent smell reminiscent of petrol. Unbearable close to the face.

I returned it to the dealer, severely disappointed. After that "encounter" I did not try again.
I have a PCF WP II which is fab. Perfect optics, no smell whatsoever.
Which one is the odd one I cannot tell.

Strange! Are you sure it was a real Papilio?! I have had absolutely no problems. Definately no smell, and alignment is perfect. A quality product, I would have to say.

Marko

Perfect Papilio!

I have had a 6.5x for several weeks now. They are little short of fabulous. I have 8x25 Opticron LE that are narrow field, so opted for the 7.5 degree field of the 'small' Pentax. They are bright, sharp and a pleasure to use. Because my eyes are quite close together, they feel as high as they are wide in the hand. I soon became accustomed to that. They have opened up a whole new world for me, with their amazing views of insects.

I have not used the 8.5x so cant offer an opinion. I almost forgot the other reason I went for the 6.5x - Tecno.co.uk have them for only £56.81!!! An absolute snip and virtually the same price as they are in the USA. Usually we pay £100 for something that sells for $100 in the States.

Last edited:
(I went for the 6.5x - Tecno.co.uk have them for only £56.81!!! An absolute snip and virtually the same price as they are in the USA. Usually we pay £100 for something that sells for $100 in the States.[/QUOTE]

I second William's findings my pair came from Tecno and are correctly aligned plus very well built as far as i can see
Basically the 6.5 seems to be the brighter wider view but some have bought the 8.5 to allow more varied use as a general compact binocular albeit still with the benefit of super close focus
Imho there is nothing to touch these instruments out there regardless of price

Regards
Richt

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back