• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dslr bird video thread (1 Viewer)

Thats super sharp with having both tcs on Rob!

I got this on monday of some Waxwings I found nearby. Really liking the little Zoom h1 for getting the sound. Might be a bit weedy sometimes so am thinking about getting a cheap shotgun mic to go into the zoom see how that goes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xpf_yQNqghk&fmt=22

thanks
I love your waxwing STILL waiteing for them to come and settel our way ,only had a few brife sightings here in Lincs .
Rob.

Haven't had time to read the whole thread so dont know if this has been raised already but I heard from one of our tech advisers at work that you shouldn't use a DSLR's video function for more than about one minute at a time in case the camera overheats? Is this true? Br, Mike

Here's a compilation I made of some of my clips from the last year.

All taken with 7D/100-400L.

Hastily put together on imovie (the free movie software on my Mac) and about half the clips were handheld so it's no masterpiece by any means but I'm quite happy with it.

If you have a decent lens like a 500/600/800L and a microphone you can get stunning footage I think, I don't have those lenses alas and am not even serious enough to get a mic...............but I have fun occasionally shooting a bit of video.

An excellent compilation, Stu. Thanks very much for sharing.

I have recently purchased a 7D and have had some success shooting video with this camera with both telephoto lenses and my scope.

Mike

Bowland Birders, I have a 550D and my mate has 5DM2 - both can shoot video for the max ~12minutes (file size restriction) They did show the overheat icon a couple times, but nothing bad happened - just give it a minute to chill and go on.
I heard someone advise to turn off the sensor cleaning on power-down. The reason is that when the sensor overheats, the adhesive of sensor microlenses (if I'm not mistaken) gets loose and sensor cleaning vibration might do a micro shift, which ends up in blurry output. I really don't know whether it could be possible, but I turned the auto cleaning off just in case. :)

Excellent stuff, Pete! I particularly enjoyed the second, close up, clip as it showed well the characteristic of the bird's body moving but not its head. Thanks for sharing.

Mike

Interestingly it looks like someone with a lot more skill has been using a dslr to video wildlife.
Yesterday Wildlife whisperer went live (simon kings website thing) and i watched a few of his videos and he is using what looks like a 7d and a 600mmf4. he is also using a hoodman viewfinder and i think its a rode videomic.
Will be interesting to see if he keeps using that gear or gives up and switches back.

Is that in the buzzard clip? I agree but on the humpback whale and the otter stuff it looks a longer lens to me. Longer than my 500mmf4 I think,

Liked the Goosander video, Pete.

From what I understand, "cutaways" are used to avoid "jump cuts", where similar video clips are strung together with little difference in subject size or angle of view. A cutaway could show, say, a close up of a birds head in between clips of it feeding or preening. They are used to break up the clips and also to act as a break between subject matter. Just watch any wildlife documentary on TV to see what I mean.

Hope this makes sense.

Mike

Cheers
Aye I just dont understand how cutaways actually work. in theory they sound daft.
Ill just have to keep an eye on the next wildlife documentary. :)

Got another video today, this time of our wintering brent geese. Couldn't get any decent sound with the zoom h1 though so had to use the inbuilt sound (which is rubbish). I think I am going to have to try pick up a shotgun mic 2nd hand or something.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_DTi3G3jBo

A mate found a small flock of Crossbills a few days ago and I was lucky enough to manage to get some video. I'm finding the stacked 1.4 and 2x tcs produce sharp enough results when videoing . These birds were at the top of quite high trees.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeXnRQQSdU8

I really need to find a better sound method though. Ive got a shotgun mic on order so will report back on how that does.
The zoom h1 will be going back for repair as its one from the dodgy batch that eats batteries while off! :(

I'm still blundering my way through DSLR videoing, still using internal microphone, very basic software and a rickety tripod.........

Here's a Stellers Sea Eagle from this afternoon that won't win any awards.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back