• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

what was killed here? (1 Viewer)

jonafly

Good afternoon,

Do these feathers belong to Ficedula Hypoleuca?
Found them in an industrial area. There were just these four, clogged together, so I suppose they're in the right following order.

André Jas

Attachments

• feathers.jpg
    feathers.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 205
Ficedula hypoleuca would be my guess too André, given size and colouration.

But I know next to nothing really. I'm sure someone will be able to give you the bird's date and place of birth in due course.

Best wishes,

Last edited:
Darrenom said:
Ficedula hypoleuca would be my guess too André, given size and colouration.

But I know next to nothing really. I'm sure someone will be able to give you the bird's date and place of birth in due course.

Best wishes,
I can see your thinking on this - assuming that you're thinking that what we have here are a couple of tertials and some secondaries, but if they're 9 cms long, surely they're too long? seeing as the bird is only about 12-13cms overall?
I'm quite prepared to be shot down though ;)

Last edited:
Fear not! You follow my thinking exactly Simon, but I'm the one to be shot down! As I said, Ficedula hypoleuca would be my guess if I found them. Just want to keep this thread at the front 'til someone who knows what they are talking about can provide André with a solution!

Last edited:
I'd say definitely not Pied Fly pattern is all wrong... struck me as Pipitish but too much white in T5..... but could imagine a Wagtail.. will consider again sans skinfull...tomorrow!

White Wagtail would also be my first guess; allthough I am not sure how to rule out Longtailed Tit just from memory...
have to look it up ...

Could this help

Maybe the experts can distill 'my' feathers from this image?

Attachments

• Motacilla-alba.jpg
    Motacilla-alba.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 184
Well, assuming it's a White Wagtail they are the outermost five (of six) tail feathers from one side. In the image the appropriate feathers of the birds left side are just visible due to the translucency of the spread flight feathers. Remember though that in life the feathers overlap so the whole pattern cannot normally be seen anyway.

Dave

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back