• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dark-eyed junco taxonomy (1 Viewer)

Elise D. Ferree, 2013. Geographic variation in morphology of Dark-eyed Juncos and implications for population divergence. The Wilson Journal of Ornithology, Sep 2013 : Volume 125 Issue 3, pg(s) 454–470.

Abstract:
Geographic variation in morphology that develops among closely related populations can help drive genetic divergence, and eventually speciation, when those morphological traits are the basis for social interactions that influence reproduction. The North American Dark-eyed Junco (Junco hyemalis) complex is an interesting case in speciation. The numerous subspecies have distinct breeding ranges and unique plumage coloration, but based on the presence of hybrid populations and recent genetic data, can be considered to belong to a single species. Research within various populations of juncos has shown first, that wing length and the amount of white on the tail feathers (“tail white”) influence an individual's dominance status and mating success, and second, that these traits can undergo rapid evolution when social and environmental conditions change. Here, I used museum specimens to examine tail white and body size, as measured by wing and tail length, of males and females within and among 13 geographically distinct Dark-eyed Junco subspecies. I documented geographic variation of mean values for each of these morphological traits, as well as patterns of trait co-variation and the degree of sexual dimorphism. I discuss these results in relation to what they may indicate about the generation and maintenance of divergence among the subspecies.

Song

Reichard 2014. Male Dark-eyed Juncos (Junco hyemalis) respond differentially to playback of local and foreign song. Wilson J Ornithol 126(3): 605–611. [abstract]

Milá, B., P. Aleixandre, S. Alvarez-Nordström and John McCormack. 2016. More than meets the eye: lineage diversity and evolutionary history of dark-eyed and yellow-eyed juncos. In Snowbird: Integrative biology and evolutionary diversity in the junco. Ellen D. Ketterson and Jonathan W. Atwell (Eds.), Chicago University Press, Chicago.

Speciation mechanisms in the Junco radiation

Last edited:
I think there is still some confusion with the Guadalupe junco. Is there any genetic study that supports a specific status? It is still regarded as subspecies at the IOC and at IUCN/Birdlife.

I think there is still some confusion with the Guadalupe junco. Is there any genetic study that supports a specific status? It is still regarded as subspecies at the IOC and at IUCN/Birdlife.

The AOU split insularis in the 55th supplement (2014), based on DNA evidence
(Aleixandre, P., J. Herna ́ ndez Montoya, and B. Mila ́ . 2013.
Speciation on oceanic islands: Rapid adaptive divergence
vs. cryptic speciation on a Guadalupe Island songbird (Aves:
Junco). PLoS ONE 8:e63242) and song (Mirksy, E. N. 1976. Song divergence in hummingbird and junco
populations on Guadalupe Island. Condor 78:230–235)

And-

IOC have it as a species :t:

Guadalupe Junco Junco insularis Ridgway, 1876 MA : Guadalupe Island (Mexico) AS Junco insularis is split from J. hyemalis (Howell and Webb 1995, BLI, Aleixandre et al. 2013, NACC 2014-A-6)

Milá, B., P. Aleixandre, S. Alvarez-Nordström and John McCormack. 2016. More than meets the eye: lineage diversity and evolutionary history of dark-eyed and yellow-eyed juncos. In Snowbird: Integrative biology and evolutionary diversity in the junco. Ellen D. Ketterson and Jonathan W. Atwell (Eds.), Chicago University Press, Chicago.

Speciation mechanisms in the Junco radiation

Book Review:
Iris I. Levin (2016) Snowbird: Integrative Biology and Evolutionary Diversity in the Junco. The Auk: October 2016, Vol. 133, No. 4, pp. 816-817.

[pdf]

Friis, Aleixandre, Rodríguez-Estrella, Navarro-Sigüenza, Milá. [in press.] Rapid postglacial diversification and long-term stasis within the songbird genus Junco: phylogeographic and phylogenomic evidence. Mol Ecol.
[abstract]

Friis, Aleixandre, Rodríguez-Estrella, Navarro-Sigüenza, Milá. [in press.] Rapid postglacial diversification and long-term stasis within the songbird genus Junco: phylogeographic and phylogenomic evidence. Mol Ecol.
[abstract]

I don't suppose anyone can get me a pdf copy of this? Turns out an Anatomy department doesn't have much need for a subscription to this journal :(

LaBarbera, Hayes, Marsh, Lacey. 2017. Complex relationships among environmental conditions and bill morphology in a generalist songbird. Ecol Evol. 31:707–724.
[abstract & supp. info.]

Blog coverage: What can we learn from 1500 junco bills? [here]

evolution within Oregon Junco

Friis, Fandos, Zellmer, McCormack, Faircloth, Mila. 2018. Genome-wide signals of drift and local adaptation during rapid lineage divergence in a songbird.
[bioRxiv preprint]

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back