• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Links to digitized versions of original sources of bird names (1 Viewer)

Journal of Chosen Natural History Society

If of interest ...

朝鮮博物學會雜誌 (Chōsen Hakubutsu Gakkai zasshi) = Journal of Chosen Natural History Society (1924-1938) is found digitized in the National Library of Korea.

See: here.

British New Guinea : annual reports ...

... is not found (at least not by me) in the BHL (Biodiversity Heritage Library).

The Parliament of Victoria, Australia, holds digitized versions of their Annual reports (by Her Mejesty's Administrator of the Government ...), for example: British New Guinea : annual report by Her Majesty's Administrator of the Government from 4th September 1888 to 30th June 1889, with map and appendices (here alt. here)

Appendix G. Report on Birds from British New Guinea, by C. W. de Wis, (pp.58-61) describes the following new birds:
• "Ninox goodenoviensis"
• "Geoffroyus sudestiensis"
• "Rhipidura auricularis"
• "Pæcilodryas (?) sigillata"
• "Todopsis kowaldi"
• "Graucalus longicauda"
• "Strepera rosa-alba"
• "Colluricincla discolor"
• "Melirrhophetes belfordi"
• "Zosterops pallidipes"
• "Merula papuensis"
• "Amblyornis macgregoriæ"
• "Cnemophilus, n. g —Ptilonorhynchidæ"; "Cnemophilus macgregorii"

If of any use?

Björn

Rostratulidae - I've seen both these authorships cited, but can't find either:

Rostratulidae Mathews, 1911 - only Mathews I can find is dated 1921, not 1911; in the 1921 edition cites himself and Ridgway on p. 119, but without extra info.

Rostratulidae Ridgway, 1919 - more widely cited, but no mention in this Ridgway, 1919 other than a name (subfamily Rostratulinae) without description on p. 145. Did he publish other papers in that year?

Thanks!

Rostratulidae - I've seen both these authorships cited, but can't find either:

Rostratulidae Mathews, 1911 - only Mathews I can find is dated 1921, not 1911; in the 1921 edition cites himself and Ridgway on p. 119, but without extra info.

Rostratulidae Ridgway, 1919 - more widely cited, but no mention in this Ridgway, 1919 other than a name (subfamily Rostratulinae) without description on p. 145. Did he publish other papers in that year?

Thanks!
Both are wrong.

The earliest I'm aware of is:
Coues E. 1888. Note on Rostratulinae. Auk 5:204. [here] or [here]

Simply forming the name (by adding a plural suffix to a stem taken from a genus-group name identifiable by context) and using it (in a publication that did not contain evidence that the author did not recognise the genus-group name as a valid genus name) was basically enough to make such a name available before 1931. No actual description was needed.

Bock 1994 cited:
Mathews GM. 1913-14. The birds of Australia. Volume 3. Witherby, London.
...which I have not seen.
It also occurs in:
Mathews GM. 1913. A list of the birds of Australia : containing the names and synonyms connected with each genus, species, and subspecies of birds found in Australia, at present known to the author. Witherby, London. [here]
I don't know which one of these two was first, and I'm not aware of a 1911 instance (but as you may know, not all of Mathews' works are online); all these are subsequent uses anyway.

Last edited:
Excellent, thanks!

Do you also have any details for Pluvianidae, please? Again, seen two citations, MacGillivray, 1852 and Reichenbach, 1848 (but suspect the latter may be a mis-citation of Pluvialidae).

Excellent, thanks!

Do you also have any details for Pluvianidae, please? Again, seen two citations, MacGillivray, 1852 and Reichenbach, 1848 (but suspect the latter may be a mis-citation of Pluvialidae).
Agree on Reichenbach.
Reichenbach HGL. 1848. Synopsis avium. Ornithologie méthodique, concernant les genres et les espèces des oiseaux de toutes les parties du monde. Nr. III. Gallinaceae. F Hofmeister, Leipzig. [here]
(The accompanying text is lacking in the BHL copy.)

Sitzungsberichte und Abhandlungen Naturwissenschaftliche Gesellschaft Isis in Dresden ... cannot be found in the BHL (not by me anyway).

Incl. for example the OD of Grey Friarbird Philemon kisserensis MEYER 1884.

But fully accessible here.

Ornithologischer Anzeiger ...

Ornithologischer Anzeiger (Anzeiger der ornithologischen Gesellschaft Bayerns) ... from 1919 to date (here).

BHL (Biodiversity Heritage Library) only have 1919 until 1922 (No. 1-7, in one volume) ...

Enjoy!

Björn

Are somewhere the Atlas zoologique from Voyage au Pole Sud et dans l'Océanie sur les corvettes l'Astrolabe et la Zélée : exécuté par ordre du roi pendant les années 1837, 1838, 1839, 1840, sous le commandement de M. J. Dumont d'Urville, Capitaine de vaisseau online? Or in other word where can I find plate 1 fig. 1 mentioned here?

Soory found it here.

Last edited:
BHL (Biodiversity Heritage Library) take the concept of Biodiversity to a whole New Level! :eek!:

Recent additions (added: 07/29/2018):
• Air cleaner - oil bath type diesel engines (here)
• Chevrolet vehicles equipped with Rochester carburetors (here)
• Wheel and tire balancing (here)
... etc., etc.

(added: 07/22/2018)
• How to inspect ball joint suspensions (here)
• Heavy duty International Harvester engines (here)
• Chainsaw maintenance (here)
... and onwards.

Why?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back