• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help! I think I may have killed it :( (1 Viewer)

P

PipSqueak

Hi all,

I donno where to look for help. Anyway, this morning this young bird was at my balcony... I didn't know it was young and couldn't fly... I thought it was sick coz it doesn't move much all it did was open its beak, the wings weren't injured either. So my roommate and I brought it into the living room, I called the vet and explained the situation. The person said it may be in shock and I just have to leave it there for a while. After several hours later, the bird still doesn't chirp or move much so I brought it to the vet and he told me it's a young bird which can't fly.

Then I searched on the net and found out that I should have just left the bird alone.

So it was away from the outside world for several hours already, and I'm really worried I may have made more harm than good. What if the mother bird doesn't come back and feed it? I had a look around the building and didn't find any nests nearby. I've put it at the balcony now. :(

Should I feed it? It hasn't been fed for the whole time it was in the house, coz it wasn't eating or drinking the food I gave it.

Anyway, here's the picture of the bird:

http://tinyurl.com/3dku53

I'd keep an eye on it for a while, if nothing does happen, or the mother doesn't come back i'd help it out, or take it to a rescue centre or something they would probably be happy to help.

I think that is an adult Swift. (Possibly a Little Swift) If it is a young bird, you haven't made things any worse - since young swifts leave the nest and fly. If its on the ground its not good.

Swifts are not good at taking off from the ground. It might be that it just needs to be held up to allow it to fly.

They feed on flying insects.

I think that is an adult Swift. (Possibly a Little Swift) If it is a young bird, you haven't made things any worse - since young swifts leave the nest and fly. If its on the ground its not good.

Swifts are not good at taking off from the ground. It might be that it just needs to be held up to allow it to fly.

They feed on flying insects.

Well, it *tries* to fly. I'm on the 9th floor of the building. It's night time now, and it goes near the railings opens its wings flap a little... as if it's hesitant to drop off. Should I give it a little push by putting it in my hand and lift it in the air?

Dropping it off 9 floors isn't a good idea if it can't fly, but yes swifts do need a lift of the ground to get them up. Was there heavy rain when you found it - swifts are sometimes grounded by rain.

Then it most likely very ill. Or indeed is young and has fallen from the nest (which would have to be above your patio). I'm afraid that there isn't much that you can do.

It might be worth seeing if it can hold onto a wall (a rough surface) - swifts have tiny legs and can't stand on the ground - all they really manage is holding onto cliffs/sides of buildings etc. If it can do that, it might be able to launch itself.

Then it most likely very ill. Or indeed is young and has fallen from the nest (which would have to be above your patio). I'm afraid that there isn't much that you can do.

It might be worth seeing if it can hold onto a wall (a rough surface) - swifts have tiny legs and can't stand on the ground - all they really manage is holding onto cliffs/sides of buildings etc. If it can do that, it might be able to launch itself.

What I don't understand is why doesn't it chirp to call its parents or something?

Hi all!!

I woke up this morning and the swift was still there. Anyway, I held it high on my hand and after it flapped a few times... it flew away! YAY! Now I'm kinda missing it, but thanks for all your help! :t:

Good news it recovered.

Certainly looks like a House or Little Swift.

Out of interest Pipsqueak which country do you live in?

Sean

Hiroshima

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back