• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Matt's watercolors (1 Viewer)

Thanks all!

John, The R-B nuthatches are less common here in Michigan. We see them at the feeders sporadically. They have some great attitude.

Nick... you have some great watercolors. They are a bit reminiscent of Hopper's seashore work!

Thanks Arthur.

Here's another visitor to the suet feeder... nothing fancy, a black-capped chickadee.

Attachments

• CHickadee.gif
    CHickadee.gif
    54.5 KB · Views: 55
Wonderful drawing of most everyone's favorite species! We're lucky at our feeders to have Chestnut-backed Chickadees pretty much every day, and last year for two days we had a Mountain Chickadee that was heading back up to normal elevations as winter ended. They're all highly entertaining birds.

More fine work Matty - the rattler is particularly strong; seems you let your arm go a little more than usual on this one? The latest dragon is a superb piece of colourwork too - lovely.
(Nick - love your website too - excellent renditions)

Thanks all. I think the timber rattlesnake lent it self well to spending more time on the background with all the leaf litter. Plus I always liked snakes. It was a fun change from all the birds and dragonflies.

Another timber rattler sketch from the Tennessee trip. This guy was a bit heavier than the previous one. Both were only about two feet from each other.

Attachments

• TRatt2.gif
    TRatt2.gif
    97.7 KB · Views: 55
Last weekend our pet cockatiel died. We had him for only ten years. We found him flying around outside and were able to "sweet-talk" him down with some millet from our lovebirds. He was a crotchety bird at times, but he was well loved and will be missed. The kids and I did a snow sculpture in his honor.

Attachments

• kirby.jpg
    kirby.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 46
  • kirby3.jpg
    kirby3.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 44
  • kirby2.jpg
    kirby2.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 61
Sorry to hear that, Matty - a sad loss indeed. And this is a really lovely, not to mention jaw-droppingly detailed, tribute to him. Poignant that you chose the ethereal medium of snow for this.

It's a horrible time when a loved pet dies, sad to hear it. You and the kids did a great job with the snow sculpture.

Mike

It's a horrible time when a loved pet dies, sad to hear it. You and the kids did a great job with the snow sculpture.

Mike

My sympathies Matt. As Mike and Tim say it's always a horrible time when a loved pet dies. But you have created a great, and memorable, tribute. I'm sure that helps as much as anything can.

it's always hard to lose a pet, I'm very sorry to hear that. What an amazing sculpture though, and as Tim points out, making it in snow just goes to remind us that all life is fleeting.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back