• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sizergh Hawfinches (1 Viewer)

A couple of friends went over last week on different days and didn't see any at all. One getting there for 6.30 am and staying until 9.30 am. Plenty of other birds around but no Hawfinches. People they spoke to had seen them on and off previous days but it sounds like they're not as reliable as they were previous years.

I went to Sizergh on Saturday morning and their were four Hawfinces coming down into the car park, two males and two females. At one point in the view through my scope I had Hawfinch, Bullfinch and Brambling. The best thing though was that they opened the cafe early so we were watching the Hawfinches whilst eating bacon sandwiches, it doesn't get much better than that.

We're staying over at Kendal this week. We only managed to see one this morning and the views weren't great. It didn't come down to the ground at all and the light was pretty poor.

Attachments

• IMG_8237a.jpg
    IMG_8237a.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 94
I was there last Wednesday and saw just one Hawfinch for a fleeting 5 seconds before it disappeared into the upper tree level.

It should be noted the NT as I understand it rope off the Hawfinch area from 8am to 10am so no parking near the grass bank. I talked to a volunteer whilst there and pointed out that because of the children's playground the area was sadly degraded to bare soil which surely would not help the birds. This is appreciated and there is talk of relocating the playground, for safety reasons so children do not have to cross the access road.

I was there last Wednesday and saw just one Hawfinch for a fleeting 5 seconds before it disappeared into the upper tree level.

It should be noted the NT as I understand it rope off the Hawfinch area from 8am to 10am so no parking near the grass bank. I talked to a volunteer whilst there and pointed out that because of the children's playground the area was sadly degraded to bare soil which surely would not help the birds. This is appreciated and there is talk of relocating the playground, for safety reasons so children do not have to cross the access road.

I think its just Fridays and Saturdays they rope off the car park early morning. Just one seen today as well. A 30 seconds view half hidden by twigs.

The car park was roped off this morning. Three turned up together but again only very distant views. One dropped to feed briefly on the ground but with the way viewing is now it couldn't be seen whilst on the ground.

Attachments

• IMG_9511a.jpg
    IMG_9511a.jpg
    172.8 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_9471a.jpg
    IMG_9471a.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 88
Rob Pocklington, one of the National Trust Staff at Sizergh has produced a Hawfinch info sheet...

Why Sizergh? It is thought they are attracted to Sizergh because of the mature Hornbeams which provide their favourite food source. In late summer these trees can produce a good amount of seed which later ripens and falls for the birds to feed off. The birds traditionally also use the site as a courtship area (perhaps due to the food source attracting birds in). Sizergh basically is like a Hawfinch service station.

Where do I look? The car park is the best place to look for them. The café veranda offers a unique setting for you to sit and watch from, with the added bonus of a brew and bacon butty to hand! Telescopes can be set up with a clear view across to the play area. On entering the car park it is often worth checking the grass in the centre of the car park. Park on the left as you enter the car park and then walk down the wall side to the veranda (this avoiding disturbance around the play area). Birds are often picked up first in the tops of the large trees around the car park.

What to look for? They spend a lot of their time in the tops of the tallest trees around the car park. Usually they’re seen flying into the trees first then cautiously making their way to feed on the gravel on the car park bays and under the Hornbeams in the play area.

What time of day is best to look for them? Best between first light and 10am. If the car park is quiet then they can be seen later in the day around the play area and central area.

When? Late February and March is when they start visiting regularly. April can see good numbers depending on the amount of seed available and how cold it is. From May when trees are beginning to go into leaf they become harder to pick out. They are into the breeding season in May with the winter feeding birds dispersing to local woodlands.

How many Hawfinch’s are around Sizergh? This really is hard to answer but we have learned through radio tracking that birds use the site as part of a feeding circuit which probably includes the surrounding area to the west (including Grange over Sands) and north to Windermere. Numbers vary from singles to as many as 20 in cold winters. An average of 5 can typically be seen during March/April.

What do they sound like? They can be quite hard to pick out with other birds around. There call is a sharp ‘tic’, like a slightly harsher sounding version of the familiar Robin call.

Where else are they? The surrounding woodlands to the west which include Whitbarrow, Witherslack and Yewbarrow all have Hawfinch in.

Do they breed on the estate? It is thought that they do but to date no nests have been found. The garden has historic records of nests.

Will I see them on my walk around the estate? Possibly! They are seen out on the wider estate. Look out for them in open areas within the woodlands or along woodland edges. In Autumn/Winter they can be seen feeding in Hawthorn and Ash trees along Ashbank lane and Flashbank.

Can I get close to take a photo? Hawfinches are shy birds and can easily be disturbed when feeding on the ground. You can get photos if you sit still in your car and wait for them to appear under the trees. If you are wanting to get closer then contact me and we can arrange a photography session for you.

What happens if I see a bird with a ring on? Please report any sightings of colour ringed birds to National Trust Ranger Rob Pocklington, [email protected] /07795090539, making a note of where and when you saw them. Colour rings fitted to the left leg and red with two white letters on. However, even if you cannot read the letters then please still report the colour ring.

What other birds can I see on the estate? Sizergh can boast having the following additional species to add from feasting on Hawfinch.
The river Kent – Dipper, Kingfisher, Goosander, Grey wagtail and Common Sandpiper.
Sizergh’s woodland – Great spotted woodpecker, Woodcock, Marsh Tit, Bullfinch and Nuthatch.
Helsington Barrows – Green woodpecker, Redstart, Spotted Flycatcher, Tree Pipit, Crossbill and Wheatear.
Park end wetland – Snipe, Green Sandpiper, Wigeon, Teal, Heron and Little Egret.
For more information contact [email protected]

...It looks better in the attached Word doc!

Attachments

• Hawfinch questions answered.docx
    14.6 KB · Views: 89
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back